Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Looking after your teeth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Someone told me that you shouldn't brush your teeth after you have drank cola. Something to do with the chemical unbalance between the drink and the toothpaste weakens the enamel on your teeth. Same goes for fresh orange juice. Is this true or are they pulling my leg.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think its true, the cola weakens the enamel, and then if you brush you are basically rubbing the softened enamel off. I think this is right anyway.
    Yeh I would say that sounds true, I always make sure I havn't just eaten or drank when I brush my teeth, and I rinse my mouth with water first.
    I'm not sure that this is true, or at least the explanation sounds a bit dodgy, the best thing would be to ask a dentist.
    Just eat some Orbit or Extra after drinking them then. :)
    Yes, that advice is true, as the cola erodes your teeth when it comes into contact with them, so by brushing your teeth, you are aiding the corrosive effect *feels very wordy (verbose) tonight, have just done English essay, sorry*
    Coke will always erode your teeth. We do that experiment in biology class where you put a tooth in coke one day...and come back the next day and its dissolved.

Coke in also a spermicide...so stop taking it.

There's no side effect or anything bad about brushing after. It cleans it more or less.