Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

At Least Someone Gets It In Europe...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.mirror.co.uk/columnists/tonyparsons/tonyparsons/page.cfm?objectid=12188969&method=full&siteid=50143

DAILY MIRROR

SHAME ON YOU AMERICAN-HATING LIBERALS
Sep 11 2002

Tony Parsons

ONE year ago, the world witnessed a unique kind of broadcasting - the mass murder of thousands, live on television.

As a lesson in the pitiless cruelty of the human race, September 11 was up there with Pol Pot's mountain of skulls in Cambodia, or the skeletal bodies stacked like garbage in the Nazi concentration camps.

An unspeakable act so cruel, so calculated and so utterly merciless that surely the world could agree on one thing - nobody deserves this fate.

Surely there could be consensus: the victims were truly innocent, the perpetrators truly evil.

But to the world's eternal shame, 9/11 is increasingly seen as America's comeuppance.

Incredibly, anti-Americanism has increased over the last year.

There has always been a simmering resentment to the USA in this country - too loud, too rich, too full of themselves and so much happier than Europeans - but it has become an epidemic.

And it seems incredible to me. More than that, it turns my stomach.

America is this country's greatest friend and our staunchest ally. We are bonded to the US by culture, language and blood.

A little over half a century ago, around half a million Americans died for our freedoms, as well as their own. Have we forgotten so soon?

And exactly a year ago, thousands of ordinary men, women and children - not just Americans, but from dozens of countries - were butchered by a small group of religious fanatics. Are we so quick to betray them?

What touched the heart about those who died in the twin towers and on the planes was that we recognised them. Young fathers and mothers, somebody's son and somebody's daughter, husbands and wives. And children. Some unborn.

And these people brought it on themselves? And their nation is to blame for their meticulously planned slaughter?

These days you don't have to be some dust-encrusted nut job in Kabul or Karachi or Finsbury Park to see America as the Great Satan.

The anti-American alliance is made up of self-loathing liberals who blame the Americans for every ill in the Third World, and conservatives suffering from power-envy, bitter that the world's only superpower can do what it likes without having to ask permission.

The truth is that America has behaved with enormous restraint since September 11.

Remember, remember.

Remember the gut-wrenching tapes of weeping men phoning their wives to say, "I love you," before they were burned alive. Remember those people leaping to their deaths from the top of burning skyscrapers.

Remember the hundreds of firemen buried alive. Remember the smiling face of that beautiful little girl who was on one of the planes with her mum. Remember, remember - and realise that America has never retaliated for 9/11 in anything like the way it could have.

So a few al-Qaeda tourists got locked without a trial in Camp X-ray? Pass the Kleenex.

So some Afghan wedding receptions were shot up after they merrily fired their semi-automatics in a sky full of American planes? A shame, but maybe next time they should stick to confetti.

AMERICA could have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot. That it didn't is a sign of strength.

American voices are already being raised against attacking Iraq - that's what a democracy is for. How many in the Islamic world will have a minute's silence for the slaughtered innocents of 9/11? How many Islamic leaders will have the guts to say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination?

When the news of 9/11 broke on the West Bank, those freedom-loving Palestinians were dancing in the street. America watched all of that - and didn't push the button. We should thank the stars that America is the most powerful nation in the world. I still find it incredible that 9/11 did not provoke all-out war. Not a "war on terrorism". A real war.

The fundamentalist dudes are talking about "opening the gates of hell", if America attacks Iraq. Well, America could have opened the gates of hell like you wouldn't believe.

The US is the most militarily powerful nation that ever strode the face of the earth.

The campaign in Afghanistan may have been less than perfect and the planned war on Iraq may be misconceived.

But don't blame America for not bringing peace and light to these wretched countries. How many democracies are there in the Middle East, or in the Muslim world? You can count them on the fingers of one hand - assuming you haven't had any chopped off for minor shoplifting.

I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle. But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a Prince in Riyadh. Above all, America is hated because it is what every country wants to be - rich, free, strong, open, optimistic.

Not ground down by the past, or religion, or some caste system. America is the best friend this country ever had and we should start remembering that.

Or do you really think the USA is the root of all evil? Tell it to the loved ones of the men and women who leaped to their death from the burning towers.

Tell it to the nursing mothers whose husbands died on one of the hijacked planes, or were ripped apart in a collapsing skyscraper.

And tell it to the hundreds of young widows whose husbands worked for the New York Fire Department. To our shame, George Bush gets a worse press than Saddam Hussein.

Once we were told that Saddam gassed the Kurds, tortured his own people and set up rape-camps in Kuwait. Now we are told he likes Quality Street. Save me the orange centre, oh mighty one!

Remember, remember, September 11. One of the greatest atrocities in human history was committed against America.

No, do more than remember. Never forget.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Woah, now that is A LOT of typing going on there, seems interesting enough but i cant be arsed reading that...

PS are you new by any small chance?:D
    Irony.

Daily Mirror, most anti-US paper at the moment.

Tony Parsons writes for ..... (can you guess) ...

Yep, the Daily Mirror.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Irony.

Daily Mirror, most anti-US paper at the moment.

Tony Parsons writes for ..... (can you guess) ...

Yep, the Daily Mirror.

Unfortunately, Mr. Parsons is about as good as writing ironically as the Yanks are at getting it. I can quite easily see why hardcorp had thought he'd found support. Take the Mirror label off it and it'd be great pro-American propaganda.
    thanks so much for posting that. I know people in the US have recognized what a friend iwe have in the UK government as well as the Queen. Her 911 speeches were exactly the right thing to say.

Honestly, I can't say I now express that I'm proud to be an English American, cause I always said that even before 911. But now I have no problem pointing out what English character is compared to Europe. It comes up again and again with each new century. Since the UK is 80% English and I feel there's been a lot of English bashing going on for too long, I'm going to say it means something to be English. It means you stand for something more.

Americans would die to protect the UK.
    I dont think it matters who wrote the article or for what paper, the point is still the same.
    America could have left the middle east a smouldering glassy ruin by now but hasn't.
    Originally posted by Turtle Unfortunately, Mr. Parsons is about as good as writing ironically as the Yanks are at getting it. I can quite easily see why hardcorp had thought he'd found support. Take the Mirror label off it and it'd be great pro-American propaganda.
    i don't think it was irony or satire. he says he opposes our stance on iraq and his later columns REALLY prove that but he's saying don't get wrapped around the axle over the petty shit and remember what brought this all about in the first place!

i mean, you are aware that you guys lost a lot of people on 9/11 too, right? in fact, brits were the 2nd largest casualty group...

i think parsons is saying we can disagree on a lot but in the end we're on the same side and in the same boat.

jellygirl, kinda new. what's the sop for these articles (besides putting them in the right category!)?
    If they're too long you can post a link to them. Just copy the link and paste it. But I really liked reading what you posted here.
    ah, ok. i posted the article and included the link if anyone wanted to verify it. but that's cool, too. don't wanna use up bandwidth and all that!

thanks for the head's up!