Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New profit from crime act.

I was speaking to the head of Enforcement for H&M Customs (arent I posh!) and he was saying that the new act should mean that it is easier to take assets away from drug dealers and criminal types.

However to my mind there is a problem with this, they can take your cash/car etc and then start criminal procedings, if they dont work then they will try a civil trial and then if that doesnt work they will try the tax man.

This alarmed me somewhat, where exactly is the line drawn? How is someone supposed to defend themselves in court if all their assets have been taken?
And what happened to our right to trial and the balance of evidence that is needed for conviction.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    before any of these new laws came in to being i had a substantial ammount of cash taken off me by the old bill as being the proceeds of crime. the police have always had these powers despite what you may read.
    i took the then greater manchester police chief to court under an old victorian law and got my money back with expenses thankyou.
    cxan't remember the details now but it was under the personal properties act of 1876 or something. did it all myself against manchesters top criminal barrister and won. what a buzz. this would have been about 79.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i took the then greater manchester police chief to court under an old victorian law and got my money back with expenses thankyou.

Nice one Morrocan !

This sounds like another way that the government are trying to cash in on the drugs trade, all that business being done and they dont see any of the money ? Thats just disgraceful !!! :lol:

(well I reckon they are cashing in somewhere near the top)