Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

advice needed!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I handed an assesed essay in at the end of last term which my professor lost. He then asked me to send it to him via email attachement at the beginning of this term which I did. However, it would not upload from my disk and the disk subsequently broke. So, only copy of essay was no where to be seen.

My mother (who is disabled) was having problems at home and in general so was I so I forgot all about the crap with the essay and got on with trying to sort things out. Now I have got this god awful letter from the department telling me that it is all my fault and I have got a ZERO etc. They've also told my college and I am going to get what is known as a 'keeping of term' notice. Means I have to attend every lecture and have weekly meetings with someone to prove I am doing my work.

Grr, so anyway, I have a mark of zero but it is only worth 7.5% for the year. What I really want to know is does anyone think it is worth telling them the circumstances surrounding the whole thing or should I just accept I've got a zero - if I complain I will almost certainly have to re-do it and I don't really have time!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: advice needed!
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

Grr, so anyway, I have a mark of zero but it is only worth 7.5% for the year. What I really want to know is does anyone think it is worth telling them the circumstances surrounding the whole thing or should I just accept I've got a zero - if I complain I will almost certainly have to re-do it and I don't really have time!

Ahh, *hugs*, that's awful...

Why are *you* getting it in the neck because a daffy tutor lost your work and your disk broke? I think you should definitely see someone about it, as none of it's really your fault - although maybe you should have seen the tutor as soon as you found out that you couldn't reprint it, but whatever, it does seem to be vastly unfair.

Complain about it and keep your fingers crossed (who knows, maybe the tutor will even find it again!) Good luck!
  • Options
    I would try and talk to the head of the department stating that you gave it in, at my uni you get a cover slip from the department to prove that you handed it in. I would try and lodge anofficial complaint aswell as its really unfair that you should drop the marks and be monitered for something that ain't your fault.
  • Options
    I think I will leave it because they'll make me hand it in and like I've said I can't open it from disk. I just hope he finds my copy and feels pretty shit about the whole thing.

What is even more weird is that he saw me the day I handed it in and I said hello to him!
  • Options
    why not write a letter calmly explaining circumstances (if you're happy to do that). Say that you can understand why you've been given a zero, and that since circumstances prevent you from writing up the essay again, you are simply writing to make sure that the college knows of your unhappiness with the whole thing in the hope that it won't happen again to anyone else.

etc etc....

that way, you have let them know that they're in the wrong, without putting your foot in it and having to do the thing again.

you never know, it might even persuade them to reassess the situation.