Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New legislation being proposed

Wasnt sure where this would go, but this looks as good a place as any!

The government is proposing new legislation that could see sex in a public place being made illegal.

Why!? Whats wrong with it?! How many times do you walk down the street and see couples doing that? Hardly ever. Why make it a jailable offence?

Legislation
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm as liberal as the next person but I don't think anyone should be having sex in public places, be they gays 'cruising' or stragith couples in some discrete area.
    Well I understand if people don't want to see a couple shagging on the street as they go to buy their groceries. I believe sex in public has always been illegal but until now there was some understanding that the cops would give the amorous couple a verbal reprimand and send them home.

The threat of jail terms is nothing but a knee-jerk reaction to mass hysteria about paedophilia.
    Argh I just typed out a response to this and the browser lost it.

Anyway

I don't see many people being prosecuted under this law, to be honest, and even fewer going to jail.

"No-one wants to be an unwitting spectator to other people having sex in a public place," said Home Office Minister Hilary Benn.

Is rubbish. I'd like to see more people out having sex, thank you very much.
    On the BBC version of this story, it says that even if youre having sex in your private garden, you can be prosecuted if it is at all visible to the public.

eh?!?! ffs it's your property... apparently you cant do what you like if there's a crack in the fence...

and i agree with Aladdin on all this being a knee-jerk reaction.
    hmmm, *edits* "knee jerk reaction."

"knee jerk-off reaction."

Much better. :p
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Well I understand if people don't want to see a couple shagging on the street as they go to buy their groceries. I believe sex in public has always been illegal but until now there was some understanding that the cops would give the amorous couple a verbal reprimand and send them home.

What if they don't have a home?
    Ideally they would temporarily surrender their police car so the deed may be finished in peace and safety.
    Aladdin, in the US the side of police cars have: to protect and serve.

so would it kill the police to also hand out condoms? Perhaps served on a silver platter.
    you know, there is some sense to this law - after all seeing sex in public could traumatise kids...

especially with the perverted sexual tastes of some people
    Sure, you don't want prostitutes plying their trade outside a school or teenagers shagging in the park at lunchtime in full view of kids... but there are already laws in place on this, and to be honest it's not like if we had an epidemic of street shaggers in this country. The current law- and common sense- have worked very well until now. People know there are boundaries and limits and adhere to them.

These toughened measures are simply to please The Sun (who happily claimed 'victory' recently in its campaign to change sex laws when these amendments were announced) and other likewise publications and groups. The only thing this law is going to achieve is to make criminals out of ordinary people who fancied a shag in the bushes, and to ruin lives.
    [deleted as it was posted twice]
    Who has sex blatently in someones face anyway? I've never seen a couple having sex in public before.

I agree with the rape and paedophile parts though but not the random sex thing.
    Typical isn't it?

Develop a good law which addresses things that people are concerned with, such as paedophilia and internet chat rooms. Then slip in something which people don't really worry a whole lot about, knowing that no MP would vote against this bill because of the good it contains.

Doesn't this mean that sex in a car would be illegal? That's the teenagers' sex lives bollocksed then...
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    Who has sex blatently in someones face anyway? I've never seen a couple having sex in public before.

I agree with the rape and paedophile parts though but not the random sex thing.

Obviously some people do, otherwise they wouldn't be proposing a law to stop it - and if you seem to think people don't do it, then whats wrong with outlawing it if they weren't going to do it anyway? Even though it is only a rarity, it's still something that shouldn't been allowed for obvious reasons.
    Originally posted by Shukes
    Even though it is only a rarity, it's still something that shouldn't been allowed for obvious reasons.

They aren't obvious to me...can you enlighten?

If you are talking about children potentially seeing things they shouldn't, then there is already a law in place - public indecency.