Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Behaviour of a "newbie"...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:rolleyes:

I just wanted a reply which was as fast as possible, so I figured it'd be best if I posted my question here, instead of in the "Health" forum.

My friend gave me some painkillers today, and when she saw I was about to intake them with Cola, she quickly pulled out a bottle of water and said that as far as she knew, pills could only be taken with water, as it's unhelthy to drink it with anything else.

Anyone knows if this is true?
If so, why?

Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    nah as long as it goes down it don't matter, i think they only recommend water but it isn't essential, i think!:)
    It was a while ago, but the last time I took a painkiller, it was washed down with coffee.

I think it only causes problems if you knock back a shot of whisky (or suchlike) with the pill.
    Yes, it's true.

Nope, I dunno why.

But lets face it, who actually takes heed of stuff like that? I usually take medication with a fizzy drink. In the 70's they thought that asprin and coke made you high!
    It's just that I've been on pill prescriptions for some time, and I always used to down it with Cola as I hate water, and didn't feel like torturing myself further as the pills were strong and nasty.

And then I got wondering if the pill lost it's effect, when not drunk with water.
    grapefruit juice interfere's with medicines.
    Originally posted by bad seed
    I think it only causes problems if you knock back a shot of whisky (or suchlike) with the pill.
    :yes:
    Unless the fizziness dissolves the pill before it's supposed to be dissolved.

:confused:

That's the only explanation I can think of.
    I was told that take pills with cola can really hurt yourself.
    Usually I prefer not to risk my health.
    Originally posted by bad seed
    Unless the fizziness dissolves the pill before it's supposed to be dissolved.

She said she didn't exactly know why, but it had something to do with fizziness (as you called it :p)...

Hmm... And if what Lore say is right, then I probably have hurt myself immensly, he he.
    I usually take mine with a fizzy drink and it's not harmed me yet!
    Some fizzy drinks contain ingredients that can combine with things in food. E.g. too much cola at mealtimes can bind with certain minerals in the food.

However, that does not mean it will do the same with the active ingedients in a medicine. If you're really worried, call a health helpline and speak to a nurse or doctor, or check with a pharmacist.
    I can't swallow tablets so I take soluble ones. I dissolve them in anything - but never water because they taste foul.

I'm still alive having dissolved them in anything from cola to hot fresh orange juice!
    If you were based in the Uk Id suggest that you rang NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 if you were worried, but as a damned foreigner taht doesnt work:p

See a doctor or a pharmacist, theyll be able to tell you. A pharmacist would be probably be a better bet, actually.
    You hate water Jacqueline? I don't know what are you being treated for but lack of water could be your problem.

I happen to like the stuff although many people I know don't have much time for H2O. But you should try to drink as much as possible. You'd be surprised how many conditions can be treated just by keeping hydrated. Headaches, digestive problems, kidney & liver conditions, even joints. 8 glasses a day keep the doctor away they say...

Unfortunately the water contained in tea and coffee doesn't count. But you can put some stuff in the water to make it taste like juice or something.
    Well the painkillers were simply for period cramps. But before that I got some pherum pills, and some strong antibiotics called Diclocil.
    Now I get something else, which I don't know the name of, and probably never will.

I can drink mineral water (just not tap-water, unless I really, really need to), but if I get to choose between that and a diet coke, then there's no hesitation. And at school I don't feel like paying 10 kr for half a litre of water, when I could normally buy 1½litres for 4 kr. So I just go for the cola, which is always expensive.

And yes I do have a problem with drinking to little during the day, but if I am not thirsty, then I am not thirsty, and can't drink.
    Originally posted by lovedup
    In the 70's they thought that asprin and coke made you high!

in the 70s it did make u high. due to the ingrediants(sp) in cola meant that if you put a hole load of asprin in it then let it evaporate in to crystals, like the experiments you did as a kid in primary skool wit water and salt, the crystals were infact co-kian.

i dnt know why i know that.
    it dnt work now tho i think the compony cottened on to what was happening and changed it.
    well as the coca cola addict that i am i know this ol' story. Before cocaine was illegal, and for a wee while afterwards it was put in coca-cola (hence the name and coloquilism "coke") to make it addictive, but 1ce they were caught on they took it out and used a substitute we now know as caffine. for which i have an addiction.