Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

call centres

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there! I was just wondering if anyone out there works in or has worked in a call centre? I've been working for a telesales company for the past year, and though it's quite good at the moment, there are times when I think about jacking it in and working in a supermarket or a pub. Sometimes I really hate the job and it gets me down, other times I just get bored out of my skull. Have any of you had similar experiences?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I worked in one for the summer when I left school! I had to try and persuade people to get double glazing over the fone! It was shite but the money was good and it was only a few hours a day. I only did it for about 2months then I started college. I have done worse jobs!
    Been there, done that, won't do it again.

I learned alot about selling and that has helped in other areas, especially when selling ideas and concepts.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Work in one at the moment, for a *well known* hire car rental company, work evenings.

Only problem is at 8:30pm it goes really quiet, and the last 1 1/2hrs is spent playing around in paint and having a laugh with everyone. AND THE CUSTOMERS CAN BE SUCH ASSHOLES!!!!!! NO YOU DONT RULE THE WORLD, NO I CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL GET A BRIGHT GREEN WITH YELLOW DOTTED FIAT PUNTO 1.2!!!!

But at 16, I dont have much choice, everywhere else tries to con you into £2.50-£3 an hr, I've been lucky getting full adult wage! (£4.90)
    *screams*
    i worked for a call center,only inbound.I thought it was a nice job,not complicated,fun although sometimes boring if no one calles for 5 hours......
    Yeah i have worked in one too! bored me to tears some days, yet others i would be full of the joys of spring.

JsT:
    'Work in one at the moment, for a *well known* hire car rental company, work evenings.'

What car hire company is it? where i work now i deal with a car hire company that is fairly well known.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Eddie_Hitler
    Yeah i have worked in one too! bored me to tears some days, yet others i would be full of the joys of spring.

JsT:
    'Work in one at the moment, for a *well known* hire car rental company, work evenings.'

What car hire company is it? where i work now i deal with a car hire company that is fairly well known.

Europcar.
    I did telephone customer service for about 3 years and yes it's fairly unrewarding and generally like you say it has its moments but there is also a lot of boredom and stress.
    JsT - not the same that i work with then!!! i use the services or Avis Car Hire. although i aint to happy with their service, they are too slow in dealing with any issues we have with them!
    Re: call centres
    Originally posted by laser
    Hi there! I was just wondering if anyone out there works in or has worked in a call centre? I've been working for a telesales company for the past year, and though it's quite good at the moment, there are times when I think about jacking it in and working in a supermarket or a pub. Sometimes I really hate the job and it gets me down, other times I just get bored out of my skull. Have any of you had similar experiences?

hell yeah!!! i work in a call centre for Mircosoft!! interesting youd think but eh no its as dull as dish water!:rolleyes:
    ive just started working at one in london.....
    im doing outbound calls......
    basically cold calling (although they insist its not because people have ticked a box on a form saying that they are interested in health insurance, strangely enough noone i phone has any recollection of ever ticking any such box).....
    its pretty boring, and i do feel incredibly guilty by the end of the day knowing how many people ive pissed off....
    but its 7 pound an hour plus commission.
    and its 12pm-8pm which means i dont have to drag myself out of bed before 10
    anyway its only a gap year job its not like its perminant or anything...
    £1000 a month....... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........
    only 2 weeks to my first paycheque......
    its gonna be a good day :D
    I've got a job interview on Friday (15th Nov) for a sales job. If I get the job, I'll only have to deal with inbound calls. People will give me the specifications of a computer and I have to quote a price, and then convince that it will be The Computer for him/her/them.

The company "Enabling Computer Supplies" is based in Stafford and expanding. I think they deal mainly with disabled people, especially sensory impairment. As I'm visually and hearing impaired, I should be a good role model as far as special needs equipment goes.
    I went for an interview and an assesment with a call centre today... and... i got the job!!! Woooooo!
    Ok, it may be boring or whatever but it is such a relief! No more sitting at home all day on my arse bored out of my mind, I get paid for doing it now!! Wooooo!!
    And 5 quid an hour? I'm not going to get better than that at my age!!
    I don't work in a call centre, although I have worked taking both inbound calls and am now working doing cold selling of graphic design....However I'm the only person doing it, hence why it's not eally a call centre. I love it although it can get boring, like today when I couldn't get through to anyone. but the internet relieves that boredom:D
    Re: call centres
    Originally posted by laser

I work in a call centre and it sucks major league ass! I work for an examination board and I have to deal with rude teachers, parents, examiners and kids. Trouble is, I'm not allowed to swear at them so some days are really tricky. Hoping to get out of Customer Services soon as I'm going more into Marketing.

I praise all those that have been subjected to rude twa*s that feel really cocky on the end of a phone.

Ps, I'm currently on divert!!
    Call centres are sweat shops of this generation.

Never again!!
    I work in a call centre at the weekends, and I'm beginning to loathe it. The customers can be right arogant arseholes. I had a few of them first thing yesterday, and that set me up for a bad, depressing, day. I'm just fed up of answering the same type of call over and over again. I'm fed up of the crappy computer system they have there. I'm fed up with the stress. I'm fed up of the customers having a go at me - especially when they get personal. :mad:

I think I'm going to go back to working in factories. The jobs may be soul destroyingly boring, repetitive, and tiring, but at least you don't have to put up with arseholes every ten minutes, and if someone is being a jerk, you can tell them what a shithead they are right to their face! No being polite to someone just because they're the customer on the other end of the phone.

I can't believe how much some of you are on, especially considering how young some of you are. I'm only on a paltry £4.50 per hour, and it's flat rate no matter if you work evenings, weekends, or overtime. That's shit! :( I can get more for working in a factory, and I don't have to put up with all the shit.

I agree with Tecknotart - sweatshops of this generation. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)
    I work in a call centre and it is sometimes good and hard work. I'd say the worst part is handling those really nasty customers!