Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Drying and storing shrooms (cultivated)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, depending on what kind of shroomz you have you will find that drying them will cause them to loose potency. generally they will loose around 35-40% of their potency and some shroomz loose up to as much as 80%. Therefore the general rule is to keep them as fresh as possible. There has been a previous thread a few months back where I went into a little bit of detail for the advice of collecting and preserving your shroomz. Mushrooms of any kind will store extremely well in the freezer and don't even need to be defrosted before use. However, they do start to degrade in quality after about 2.5-3 months. Don't forget that unlike the Amanita species of mushies, psilocybe mushroom stems are equally as potent as the caps themselves, so don't get rid of them. Also, making mushroom tea or some other kind of preparation without leaving the shroomz in will just be a waste of time and will produce little to no effect. Smoking shroomz will also produce no effect (except perhaps a placebo effect!), which is due to the fact that the psilocybin and psilocin are both destroyed at high temperatures. Aside from all this, if you still wish to dry your shroomz I would strongly recommend the purchase of a food dehydrator. The dehydrator will....well...dehydrate the mushrooms (ie take the water out) and will be less likely that the shroomz will loose as much potency as if done in an oven. Of course nothing beats sun dried, but thats not exactly easy in a country like ours! NEVER microwave them dry as they will loose even more potency than oven drying. Oven dry at 120-140F on a baking tray and check every 2-3mins until dry. Hope thats been of some help, happy trippin..........
    i thought drying them increased potency. What if they are left to dry in say an airing cupboard?
    You might want to check the www.shroomery.org for drying tips, you shouldnt loose a big amount of the strength if you do it properly. You will loose a lot of weight from them but it shouldnt be a problem.

As for tea, yes if you use boiling water you will knacker them, but if you use warm water its fine, put them in a cafetire, stir them a bit and the water should go a strange blue colour, plunge and drink.

I certainly wouldnt make efforts to eat them all while they are fresh, you'll end up going nuts, or they just wont work. There is a short term tolerance with them like with acid.
    Originally posted by Quicksilver
    i thought drying them increased potency. What if they are left to dry in say an airing cupboard?

it doesnt change the amount of psilocybin present but they lose 90% of their volume when dried cause they are almost all water but the psilocybin stays so if you think about it, its more concentrated. but not more potent.

so you eat less by mass and get the same effect, but you eat the same number of shrooms.

if you see what i mean
    Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know Octopus will :) ) but once you prepare mushies do you not change the classification of the drug. By that I mean turn it from a class B to class A (might have the wrong classes).
    Oh and be careful where you store them. My mate dried out some and left them on the breakfast bar and his mum stuck them on a pizza. Whole family tripping. Must have been a laugh
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know Octopus will :) ) but once you prepare mushies do you not change the classification of the drug. By that I mean turn it from a class B to class A (might have the wrong classes).

yes it is true, fresh is legal, prepared is class A, but thats nothing to do with the potency. thats just cause they grow naturally in this country literally all over hte place so its impossible to control the fresh ones. but it has no relevence to the potency