Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Confidence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, does anyone have any advice on how to boost your confidence when talking in front of people?

At the mere suggestion I feel like I'm gonna collapse. When I get up there then I'm shaking uncontrollably. Even if it's just about ten people. I can't stop myself totally panicking. It even happens when I am asked a question in Sixth Form.

I'm getting worse, also - the more I panic about what happened the last time, the worse it is the next.

Is there any medication you can take, just until I prove to myself that there's nothing to be afraid of - something to calm me down? I've tried everything from Kalms to Rescue Remedy, and nothing seems to be strong enough. I think I need Valium! :(

Comments

• Options
    Talk it over to yourself, and believe in what your saying.

there is the old trick of pretending there all naked but I dont know if that works- I'd just get carried away anyway.

Thinking about it more and more will get to you, some people have a nack for it with others it develops over time. Just try to relax and be yourself and leave and of the drugs alone
  • Options
    That technique used to work for me, I never used to get nervous.

But now, I'm freaking out to the extent that I drink vodka before doing it, but it just makes me hysterical!
  • Options
    i got told to boost you confidence you should look in the mirror! it worked for me. :)
  • Options
    Drugs and alcohol can often make you feel worse, so the best solution is to tackle the underlying problem - you feel very nervous when speaking in public.

Sometimes all you need is to do more talking in public - you might realise that you can cope OK and a good experience can boost your confidence. Lots of colleges and adult education centres do evening classes in public speaking to help you practice doing this in a safe and supportive environment and get your confidence up.

Or you may prefer to talk to your GP who can refer you to someone who can help you talk your problem through and teach you some relaxation techniques.

In the meantime, have a quiet word with your tutor about it to see if you can get some help and support from them.