Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Student finance - ask the experts

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello! An independent financial expert has kindly agreed to help us answer your questions about student finance. Ask away below, and we will pick the best six or so to put to them.

For example you might want to ask something about: how much to take with you for freshers' week, how to apply for a loan, how to deal with student debt, paying money back after graduation, or anything else you can think of....
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This seems like a really helpful thing to do!

In the last few months I have gone from having nothing, to having too much!

I actually had to leave the student house I was living in and move back in with my parents because I could no longer afford the rent and bills. How are students whose parents cannot give them ANYTHING AT ALL be expected to compete, especially if they aren't at a university near their home, like I was lucky enough to be? (This isn't really a question addressed at the expert!)

I think the system is unfair, and even though loan amounts and tuition fees are means tested they do not take into account the very high debts which some parents (liek mine) have, only their income (which for last year was very high for my father, because he did so much overtime. There is no overtime this year so he is earning half of what he did last year, yet my tuition fees, which I pay, have doubled)

What I would really like to know is this: How can students compete at university? At my university you are made to feel inferior if you don't have the best textbooks, the best clothes and the most money to eat out every night. What are your experts tips for saving money? How is it possible for students to save when they are on such a tight budget?
  • Options
    im going to uni in september and school have told us that we have to get a form from our local council ppl about getting student support but does anyone know where u get it from?
    Cheers
    Carrie x
  • Options
    Originally posted by CarrieFromBrist
    im going to uni in september and school have told us that we have to get a form from our local council ppl about getting student support but does anyone know where u get it from?
    Cheers
    Carrie x

You go to your council's education dept. (or phone them).
    Even better you can now get the first form from the the DFES website and then send it to your ed. dept.

click here:
    http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsupport/formsandguides/for_.shtml