Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is this...?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok before i start i know this should be in the health forum but im impatient and ill delete it when its done.Ok...im really trying to lose weight and im doin by not eatin.Not stoppin completely but no breakfast or lunch and just a light dinner, so i mean i know its not healthy but its not like im anorexic is it? its kinda buggin me because i dnt wanna have an eating disorder and im confused.yeah im that ignorant.thanx
xxx

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure if you'll develop an eating disorder or not, but as you have already pointed out, it's not healthy.

Why do people (girls mainly) seem to think an acceptable way of losing weight is through not eating? You need to exercise as well!
  • Options
    I don't know much about eating disorders...

Butyou should find a different method of losing weight, especially seeing as you're studying. You can't work properly if you don't eat properly.
    And that's just one of many reasons.

But I'm no expert :)
  • Options
    If you want to lose weight you are going totally the wrong way. Eating the way you have said is going to make you feel weak because you just are not eating enough.

To lose weight you need to eat regular, heathy meals. Cut out foods that contain lots of fat. You can still eat regular meals and lose weight.

There is a more indepth thread in the health forum. Im not that good at advising about what foods you need to eat to lose weight:)
  • Options
    I do exercise regularly as well its just quicker to stop eatin and my one meal is usually healthy.thanking you al muchly for your comments.
    xxx
  • Options
    Simply cutting out food is not an acceptable way to lose weight. You may notice a loss of weight but it will vanish as soon as your body stablizises to your new intake. If you are exercising on much less food than normal you'll most likely just feel more tired and have less energy. Over a prolonged period you'd probably be less resistant to illness and if you were taking it to extremes then your body would probably shut down.

Youd be much better off eating sensibly instead. Just choose wisely and eat foods that don't put the wrong type of stuff into you.
  • Options
    as you say, you dont feel like you are anorexic, but the thing i would be worried about is if u carry on like this, u may get to the point where u dont eat at all and dont give it a second thought.
    the thing is about not eating is, your body gets used to not having a meal so it holds on to whatever calories are already there...therefore u dont lose anything...i think its something like that.
    also if you are exercising on as little food as that you will be very tired and run down and not have much energy.
    i know i used to do that, i would hardly have anything to eat and then go to the gym, but end up so hungry that i would binge and i didnt lose weight.
  • Options
    You NEEEEEEEEEEED to eat. Losing weight by not eating is just plain wrong. And also, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
    Find healthy foods that you like, and keep eating them.
    If your serious about losing weight, then don't eat ANY chocolates, or ice creams, or crisps, or Mcdonald meals etc, and I mean NONE (I don't eat any of that rubbish, and trust me, I eat loads).
    Good luck.
  • Options
    hey, you oughta eat your main meal at breakfast then something very light at dinner (last meal). the big breakfast will get you through the day and is your main source of fuel. eating before you go to bed just means you'll be inactive and the food will get digested and stored as fat.

best thing, as others have said, is exercise and balanced meals. and stay the hell away from weight scales, they mean NOTHING! they do more harm than good. you wanna judge your fitness, go by how you feel, how much energy various activities take, and how you look in the mirror (even though that's not a great guide to fitness - one of the fittest guys i ever knew was a 40 yr old "chunky-butt" gysgt who ran a 1st class 20 yr old pft and could hump every young stud into the ground without breaking a sweat).
  • Options
    a friend of mine said that she was just cutting down a bit. She cut down so that she wasn't eating anything. She collapsed on a regular basis, and then became hypoglycaemic due to the way she'd mucked up her body. Be Careful.
  • Options
    If you try to lose weight by not eating you will lose more muscle mass than body fat. Now, you may say, "It does`nt matter as long as I'm thin", but understand that muscle burns more calories than fat -- this helps to keep your metabolism elevated.

If you end up with less muscle than when you started, you can bet that your metabolism has been slowed a great deal, which, in the long run, means your body will be burning fewer calories and storing more fat.

To lose fat you have to eat! DO NOT starve yourself. Your body is designed for survival, and part of it's survival mechanism involves storing and holding onto bodyfat to be used in times of food shortages. If you make it a habit of not eating, or eating only a small amount of calories each day, eventually your body will think that you are in a time of famine and begin to slow your metabolism.
  • Options
    A couple of other pointers also. Set yourself realistic goals. Don't say I'm gonna lose 3 stone because at the end of the first week when you realise you've only lost a few punds you'll think "There's no way I'm gonna lose all this weight". I was a stone an a half overweight and I didn't set my sights on losing the whole lot. I set goals. Lose a couple of pounds this week. A couple next week. It's makes it so much easier to lose the weight. I also stopped drinking things like Coke, Fanta etc.. and switched to water. Boring I know but by drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day my body ridded itself of water being retained around my body. That was a couple of pounds right there.

Goog luck and don't despair. It can be done.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Girl_gunner,

As you've said you're already aware that it's not healthy to completely cut out meals, here's some info about making sure you're eating a balanced diet.

And there's loads more info in our Body Image special.

I'm also gonna move this to the health forum, I know you didn't want us to but you'll get more responses in there.

ClaireBear
  • Options
    thanx for ur help everyone am probs jus gonaa delete this thread now stop cloggin up the boards with crap.
    xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    thanx for ur help everyone am probs jus gonaa delete this thread now stop cloggin up the boards with crap.
    xxx

No dont delete it, youre not clogging the boards. There could be someone like you who could benefit from the advice people have given you :)
  • Options
    I know im bein immature or whatever but this thread will just be dead now its in the health forum.oh well.maybe ill leave it for a lickle while.
    xxx