Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Usefull Classes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Within a month I need to hand in a paper at school, telling which extra-classes I want, and which classes I want to take on a higher level, over the next two years.

After I finish Gymnasium (could be compared to British college) here in Denmark, I want to go to University abroad. Preferably in England or the States.

The Danish Gymnasium system works in a way where the are two lines to choose between. Maths(science) or Linguistic.
I've chosen Math line, which consists of compulsary Maths and Physics for two years, and chemistry for one year. You can afterwards choose to take those subjects on a higher level (+ of course other subjects, but the aforementioned subjects are what differs it from linguistic line).
I have no plan to study anything which is science related later on. Though the fact that I have chosen math-line opens more doors (plus I don't get to sit in a class full of girls bitching at each other, but have been lucky enough to be placed in a class with 9 girls and 17 boys, so it kind of balances out), when applying for different studies (that's in Denmark).

And I was wondering which extra/high-levelled classes would be good to take if I later on want to study International Relations, History or Politics in England (or if someone has knowledge about the US, I would be very happy to listen to their advice)?

We have A,B or C levels of every subject here (though some classes can't be taken on an A level), I don't know if it's the same system in England. Most people here take two subjects on A level, though rarely you hear about people who have 3.
I wanted to take Social Studies, and English on A level. And go a level further with geography (B-level, where we usually only get a C-level).
Danish and History are compulsary all three years, so they're counted as A-levels as well.

As said it would be appericiated if I knew what the English universities count as important (classes, skills) when selecting future students, and if there are some classes which I have to have, when wanting to study those subjects which I mentioned. Thanks :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jacq,

I think the best thing to do is to pick a couple of academic websites: universities that you know do International Relations & Politics and see what kind of subjects they want you to offer.

As an off the top of my head guide, geography is always good (it's my subject :D, so it better be!), history would be good, economics might be useful, maths could help with that.

Personally speaking, I think you'd learn more taking geography to an A level than English; critical literature might not be so useful as the synthetic appreciation you'd get from geography, plus geographers today tend to cover economic/political studies anyway. The essay writing skills which are the transferable aspect from English, you'll pick up anyway, I guess.

But it's up to you & what you enjoy.

DJP
    I can only take Geography for two years, so it's impossible for me to take it on an A-level.
    But would you think that Buisness Studies which I can only take as a C-level, would be a better choice than English A-level?
    Depends on the course for English, and how much relevance Business Studies will have, I suppose. What I suggest you do is to look at the websites. This is The Times Good University Guide, which is a well rated guide to university courses. It's the closest I can come to what you want to study.

Have a look at some of their websites, and see what the course requirements are in terms of subject, if they specify. That might help you better than I can.

To get you started...
    Sheffield - Website
    Oxford - Website

Generally, the web addresses are in the form of http://www.i]university name[/i.ac.uk

Abbrevations might complicate things, but hopefully that'll be enough for you for now?
    Thank you for your help :)

Oxford has this neat table of which subjects are useful for which courses. Quite helpful.
    But then on the Sheffield site they show this kind of list, and was wondering what BBB, ABB, BBC etc. meant.
    They're old A-level entrance requirements for UK students, where most people only took 3 A-levels. So 3 A grades, or 2 As and a B, or whatever.
    Don't know if you saw this part of the Sheffield site........

http://www.shef.ac.uk/international/admissions/denmark.htm

I would imagine other universities have a similar section.......

Thanks Toad, didn't see that, when I browsed that site :)

What are you studying, btw?
    I am a 2nd year BA economics student at the afforementioned institution.

Apparently there are 16 Danish people here but sadly I don't know any of them.

I do know someone who is Finnish though..........

I recommend the politics department, I have it on sound authority that it is very good.........