Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

TheSite's Responsibility

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
Is there a statement by TheSite anywhere as to the extent of their legal responsibility?

For example, if someone admits to committing a crime, are the staff at TheSite allowed to inform the police, or is there some kind of privacy issue?

Or can TheSite only provide information to the police if they ask for it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What have you done then?
    Dont confess it on here, you never know whos listening......:nervous:
    No I haven't done anything wrong, I was just wondering and I am still wondering?

Mods....?
  • DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
    Well there's this and the bit on the Reg page:

"Although the administrators and moderators of TheSite.org boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of TheSite.org boards or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
    By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
    The owners of TheSite.org boards have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

Also, we make it clear often that these are public boards, which can be read by anyone. Because of this, users should always be careful what they say.

Dom
    Originally posted by Dom
    sexually-orientated

Well that's screwed the Sex Forum. And most of Anything Goes too ;):p

Seriously though, if someone admitted doing something extremely dodgy, would you guys be responsible to inform the police ??
    So, if someone came on these boards saying they had raped / attacked someone and they were serious, would TheSite's administrators go to any lengths to inform someone?
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    So, if someone came on these boards saying they had raped / attacked someone and they were serious, would TheSite's administrators go to any lengths to inform someone?

Would this not raise the question of the legality of such evidence as admission? I mean; is a message board post legally binding?
    Originally posted by DJP
    Would this not raise the question of the legality of such evidence as admission? I mean; is a message board post legally binding?
    Would this count:
    Originally posted by Dom
    All messages express the views of the author
    I don't think electronic messages like this can be counted as legally binding as they can be edited without somebody's knowledge, and you've seen the problems thesite has every now and again with people accidentally logging in as someone else.