Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

how do i help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive just found out my friends of 21 has got cancer in his tounge ( im not joking ) im really scared for him i need to find out wots going to happen to him? how can i help him? i dont no wot to say when im around him i feel so useless.:(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say the best thing you could do would be to just try and treat them normally, but don't be afraid to approach the subject of the cancer. The worst thing to do would be to act like it didn't exist....you never know, your friend may be desperate to talk about it with you, but just doesn't know how to introduce the subject. If when you talk about it they seem reluctant to talk then that'll give you a good indication that they'd rather talk about something else, but you have to give it a try. And you can be honest, and say that you don't understand what the illness means, and you might be surprised by how willing they are to tell you about it. It can really help to talk, for both of you. Good luck, and most of all just make sure that you are there whenever your friend needs you. Tates xxx