Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

to much coursework.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
to much course work.i'm in year10 at the moment and i feel as if i'm getting to much course work.i know everyone gets the same amount of coursework as everyone else.and i've been told that in year11 you get even more!but i don't feel grown up enough to handle with it at all.i get to much and i know i can't do it so i just leave it all and don't bother.which leads into getting after school detentions :(.i don't know what to do...whether to leave it or try and do it....even though i know i can't.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Maybe you should start staying such as an hour after school each night. With the teacher there, it will be more one on one, so you'll get a lot more help, and in the school environemtn with no distractions your more likely to actually work, rather than just leave it sitting there.
    i know i can't do it so i just leave it all and don't bother.
    Big mistake...you dont wanna start leaving it all to do until the very end..very stressful and almost impossible. Theres no reason why you can't just get on with it and get it done...unless you don't understand it in which case you can ask for help, or stay behind school for help like I mentioned before.

I found it really difficult to actaully get on with my coursework for GCSE, so decided to stay one night for an hour after school. My food tech teacher sat down with em and helped me sooo much, and once I had actually started on it, and got some done it was much easier to get with it and get it finished.

Coursework can take a lot fo pressure off exams, as they count towards the marks, and so just think to yourself how much it will help towards your final grades if you get it finished and get a decent-ish mark for it.

:)
  • Options
  • Options
    Like amz has said you should talk to your tutor or a teacher you trust about how you feel you can't cope. They should be able to sit down with you and help you with your time management and getting the actual work done. Much more constructive than just saying you can't do it!

Don't give up on the first hurdle either, if they are busy when you approach them, make an appoitment to see them later.

Good Luck!
    Susie :)
  • Options
    I agree that you should tell your teachers you are having genuine difficulty with it. Perhaps they could offer to help you after school?

Another good way to get it done is to ask your parents to supervise you.

Don't just leave it, because you will go into the exams with very little behind you. Coursework counts towards your grades and if you can get some good coursework results you have a better chance of getting good grades.

Good luck
  • Options
    I think everyone can relate to what it's like when you feel deadlines creep forwards and you have so much to do. I found that the further behind you are, then the less motivation you have to actually do it because it seems like too much of a struggle.

Take your time and get it done piece by piece. Rushing assignments isn't a good idea, but don't waste time either.

Year 10 is hard, because it's the first time you're given proper coursework and it seems so hard at first. Remember most people around you probably feel similar because it's so new. Also, they give you coursework in year 10 to help you find ways of time management and getting through a gradually increasing workload. You get used to it though, as you find yourself taking more time from your life to go through it.

It's not too bad a jump from year 10 to 11, because by that time you're more used to it.
    If you move onto A Levels or continue your education further (which by the way you seem to care about your grades sounds likely) then you may have to readjust yourself again after another "jump". But it usually works out.

Structure yourself - get up that little bit earlier in the morning and do a little. Spend free time adding finishing touches and you will be OK :)

Good Luck!