Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Has anyone studied th subject ethics (part of Philosophy)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I just wondered because i am having a bludy crisis answering a mock question and would love some pointers.
Ta!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yo

Did a course on Human Rights at University last year.

Whats the question?
  • Options
    Okay here goes
    "Consider how Utilitarianism can be applied to a moral dilemma related to sexual ethics"
    Thanku!
  • Options
    Righto...

This is for A-levels is it, I think a decent framework would be.......

a) Intro: Describe what Utilitarianism in essence is, i.e. a doctrine that proscribes that the best course of action is the one that maximises human happiness/utility.

b) Give a very simple example of how a utilitarian outlook could be applied to a moral dilemma.

c) Outline a 'moral dilemma relating to sexual ethics' and show what the options of the participants are, I am sure you will have some ideas on that....

d) For this dilemma choose the option that you think the utilitatrian would choose and explain why. Also explain why the other options are not to be picked by the Utilitarian ie why they do not maximise happiness.

e) I am not sure if you have a word limit but you could go through several such situations, you'll know when you have got the point across.

f) Conclusion: Sum up the dilemma/s you have adressed and say what your ideas are on whether Utilitarianism is a good way to deal with such problems..........

Thats not necessarily the best way to do it but it is probably the way I would do it, hope that helps:) ...........
  • Options
    Thankyou!
    "Gross Bissous!"
  • Options
    and remember to cross compare Act and Rule utilitarianism!

*Got an A in Relgious Studies A level and hasn't forgotten the old tricks