Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Kendo

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
hi. does anyone have any personal experiance of kendo? if so, how'd u find it? coz im thinkin about takin it up
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    this is one of the lesser known martial arts in the UK and you'd be hard pressed to find a club. i have personaly had a go and it was great. bit like fencing but with loads of armour, a mask and the kendo stick (sword) has the force of a baseball bat. not one for the weak hearted. have you tried a search on the net for clubs? this maybe the best way to find one 'cos they're little known.
    Its pretty good, and can be good fun (i've only ever played around when kendo clubs do demonstrations and "tasters" on martail arts courses I've attended) from what i've seen, but it's based around an art thats derived from a fighting style, and has been adapted for competition....
    This means that its not as direct as it would be if it was simple a combat form.

What I would consider a better learning experience is kenjitsu, as this is the fighting form that kendo is primarily based on. I'm not saying one is better than the other, as my experience with both is limited, but if i were to look at something like this I would go for kenjitsu every time.

Obviously there are other considerations to take into account, like availibility and expense (btw kendo armor can be pretty expensive, but not as expensive as a real sword can be).

I think the thing that really sways me towards kenjitsu is that eventually you get play with live weapons.... Can you imagine the responsibility and trust that must be in place for that to be possible?

FYI : There only kenjitsu club I know of is based near slough.... but i'm sure there are others around the place.

Let me know how you get on. :)
    well i found 1 @ the ymca in nottingham. However, wen i was looking 4 kendo, i found some information on ninjitsu. Now im not sure which to go 4. i guess i'll have to try them both and find out. thx 4 the help!
    Glad you've found something to have to a go at.

ninjitsu : It's almost certainly not what you think it is (although they get slinky black gi's and cool booties).....

They run ninjitsu class's at reading uni.

Its not worth tying yourself to one form above all others, although some more traditional teachers like the novices to stick with 1 form for a year or more (some not wanting novices to try other forms until they are dan grade).

As you say, try them both and see what you enjoy more.

Have fun (although you don't need me to tell you that).
    kendo clubs/dojos

check out www.kendo.org.uk

for info on kendo dojos in your area.

its a great sport/activity, however you look at it. It will get you fit and its real buzz as its basically samurai sword fencing, but with loads of protective gear.

Have a go........you will not regret it.