Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

5htp

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is this 5htp that everyone talks about and where can I get it?
Can I literally just go into tescos and ask for it?
If this is the case then out of curiousity what do people use it for other than replenishing seritonium from caning to many pills!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I found
    this website, it explains about it and also says you can buy it from mainstream health food shops.

:)
    thanks alot mate - and what a quick reply aswell!
    Go to holland and barratt !
    I have heard it described as prozac for hippies and a lot of people take it for no other reason than they think it makes them happier.

I'm not really convinced, I have used it quite a few times, I wouldnt recomend it for before you go out, it tends to give you a mongy dopey high.
    It can help some people with the tuesday blues, and I have found it useful but only in conjuntion with a gram of base a day for the week after pills.
    prozac for hippies ? .. ohh please.
    It is the natural precursor of serotin.

So if you want to skip the 2-3 days "suicide period" after extacy intake, I would seriously reccomend it.

I for example have to smuggle mine in from USA, since it is illegal to import Amino Acids from countries outside of Europe.

And someone told me that 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is only sold without goverment supervision in the USA, Mexico and Canada.

Anyway, it is my biggest weapon in my Extacy pre/postload arsenal.
    Yeah, I swear by it.

It also gives me mad dreams.
    Its the dreams part I dont like, I tend to not really get restful sleep because of it.
    right right...

As addyh mentioned... 5Htp is a precursor, acutally to L-Tryptophan which in turn helps your brain replentish the seritonin that is lost when rolling...
    A good plan for a planned roll could go a little something like this :

T-4 Hours : Eat a good meal. Lots of carbs help if you are planning on being active and energetic, gives your body something to burn... Eat pasta, potatos, breads. But give it a few hours to digest previous to taking your roll... Some people get a little nausious at the begining and having a super full stomach might egg that on.
    T-3 Hours : Take a good dose of 5-HTP, 100mg will do.
    T-2 Hours : Make sure that you stay hydrated, water is good, and things like power aid and what not are great too.
    T-1 Hour : Take another 50mg to 100mg of 5-HTP
    T-0 : Launch time. Take your roll. Being in a comfortable place with friends is always recomended. I have found from much personal experience that initial mood is critical to having a really great time.

Remember to, you dont have to take a handful to have a good time. I hear too much of news articles that suggest that club going x users take up to 10 pills a night... This is just insane... The damage casued by ingesting this many pills is just not good.
    If the pills you are taking are not that stong, dont keep popping them like they are ticktacks, consider that there is other stuff in the pills as well that might be harmful in large doses. Even if you have tested the pills, you can not be completely sure what is really in them.

Post-Launch - 1 Hour : Some also suggest that a little smoke helps kick in thier roll, some suggest that is can bring you down a little. This is really a personal preference thing also.

Post-Launch - 2 Hours : Make sure you keep hydrated, especially if you are dancing alot... Remember to take a break here and there, getting over heated and dehydrated is the leading cause of suggested "OD" on x.

Post-Launch - 4+ Hours : You may or may not be comming down from your rolls at this point. Depending on the quality of the x that you had, you should find a good place to relax. Home rolls are good for this, theres nothing like relaxing with your partner or friends to make the come down a good as it can be.

Landing - Some come downs can be a little harsh depending on the ammount of x in the pills that you take... Sleep... Sleep... Sleep some more... This is over all one of the best ways to replentish the things that are lost when you roll...

If you can eat before you crash out, this is good too. I have noticed that it helps greatly with the depression the next couple days...

Take another 100mg of 5HTP before you hit the sack... And some when you get up as well... Make sure you eat a good meal as well after you wake up... I have found that fruits and veggies, especially salads are really great and are pretty easy to eat... Pastas with tomato sauces are pretty good too, try to stay away from heavy meat laden stuff as well.

Either way, as long as you take care of your body and brain it will keep affording you good experiences when rolling...

This has worked for me for some time, hopefully it will help you all out as well...

Emo1313 - Over and out.
    Emo1313:
    Nice to see people who are involved in making extacy intake as safe as possible.

However there are a few errors in your reply.

5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) IS the direct precursor of serotin.

The amino acid L-Tryptophan is the precursor of 5-HTP in the brain.

If you take L-Tryptophan the body proccesses it and it becomes 5-HTP, then the 5-HTP reaches the brain it comes to contact with and enzyme called decarboxylese and becomes serotin.

So taking 5-HTP skips the L-Tryptophan -> 5-HTP proccess and your brain produces serotin faster.

Trust me on this matter :)

Also avoid taking 5-HTP so close to a roll, many people have reported taking 5-HTP to close to a roll spoils the roll.

See related thread on taking 5-HTP to close to the drop over at dancesafe.org here

I personally take 5-HTP 4-5 hours prior to a roll (200 mg.)
    And then another 200 mg. when I come home (after rolling) goto sleep and then take another 200 mg. when I wake up the following day.

This has worked extremly well for me, but this varies from one person to the next.

Also look into Vitamin C, ALA (Alpha Liopic Acid) and Magnesium.
    All great weapons in my Extacy safe-as-possible arsenal :D

Here is my Pre/Post load routine.

Pre:
    4-5 hours before:
    200 mg. 5-HTP

1 hour before:
    2000 mg. Vitamin C
    200 mg. Alpha Liopic Acid
    800 mg. Magnesium

200 mg. 5-HTP
    800 mg. Magnesium
    1000 mg. Vitamin C
    one multi-vitamin tablet.

When I wake up the following day:
    200 mg. 5-HTP
    1000 mg. Vitamin C
    one multi-vitamin tablet.

Have fun and play nice :D
    5htp. etc.

I stand corrected on the L-T -vs- 5Htp precursor thing... However I have never had problems with the roll spoiler thing, and have never heard any on mention it other than this post. I suppose it very well could be on a per person basis as most things are... Again things like this come from experience also, so guaging how things affect you based on some one elses opinion is not always the case. I would have to say that most of the stuff that I know of is from *my* personal experence...
    Also I have heard that magnesium can *spoil* certain things as well because its a natural muscle relaxant... But again, Im sure it works out different for all people.
    Either way... It is indeed good to see people out there who do thier research...
    You can find some more info here

Very high intakes of 5-HTP have caused muscle jerks in guinea pigs39 and both muscle jerks40 and diarrhea in mice.41 Injected 5-HTP has also caused kidney damage in rats.42 To date, these problems have not been reported in humans. “Serotonin syndrome,” a serious but uncommon condition caused by excessive amounts of serotonin, has not been reported to result from supplementation with 5-HTP; in theory it could be triggered by the supplement.43 However, the level of intake at which this toxic effect might potentially occur remains unknown.

5-HTP should not be taken with antidepressants, weight-control drugs, other serotonin-modifying agents, or substances known to cause liver damage, because in these cases 5-HTP may have excessive effects. People with liver disease may not be able to regulate 5-HTP adequately and those suffering from autoimmune diseases such as scleroderma may be more sensitive than others, to 5-HTP.44 These people should not take 5-HTP without consulting a knowledgeable healthcare professional. The safety of taking 5-HTP during pregnancy and breast-feeding is not known at this time

Be aware !!!

I usualy find that 2 or 3 does the trick before I go to sleep, when I wake I feel really good and have had a good nights sleep.
    I know we've had this discussion before and a few people didnt aggree with me but I wouldnt recomend taking a large dose of vitc C just before you have pills, it may well lead them to be flushed out of your system faster. You could take a few chalk tablets as wel I supose