Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

PhD

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm nearing the end of my Masters' degree and starting to think seriously about continuing and doing a PhD and although I think I want to do it, I have doubts that I could manage another 3 years. Anyone had any experience of this?

Cheers
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Well, the only experience I have is of my brother's situation. He did a history degree at Oxford, came top of his year, decided to carry on and do an M-Phil and then continue that to a D-Phil (PhD), but now coming to the end of the 1st year he has decided totally against continuing with the D-Phil and becoming a university professor and has decided to stop it and do something else. And he was totally dedicated to his subject and everything right from the start.
    So I guess you'd just have to make sure you really REALLY wanted to do it and i'm sure it would be fine...I guess my bro just got disillusioned because even his professors were telling him that being a professor was crap and that he should do something else! so unless you have that in mind, then it shouldn't be a problem if you really want it?!
    Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm reading physics at Lancaster Uni and my final year is mainly a research project which I believe is geared towards continuing with a PhD so it wouldn't be too traumatic to carry on.

I'm not especially interested in becoming a lecturer or involved in the academic profession (it's not the best paid) but having a PhD gives you a distinct advantage in the world.

I think I shall have to talk to my tutors about this. Thanks for your help so far peeps.