Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

fashion/art career

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiya, i wanna do something in fashion for a-level, but the thought of taking art leaves me trembling, do i have to do art to do fashion?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not sure what qalifications help you to get in to fashion but i'm sure art would help, talk to your careers advisor at school/college and im sure they will give you more help.
    The best thing you can do is ask your careers advisor. However, if you're planning on applying to do a course at college or university in later life you might want to email a few admissions tutors and ask if they expect you to have a level art.

I would like to point out though that I work for a fashion house in Paris (with sub sections in London) and I did A levels in history, economics and english literature! I had work experience of working in my mothers bridal shop where I would custom design a lot of the dresses for customers. Working in a boutique at the weekends can give you invaluable experience.

After working for my mother I went to university but didn't fit in very well so I left and moved to London where I applied for a job with a fashion house. They loved my designs and didn't even ask if I had a degree or other qualification. However, I think I may have been just lucky, and in the right place at the right time. But this shows that there is a chance for everyone!!!!

So now I work for a huge fashion house which supplies the Arcadia group of stores (topshop, dorothy perkins, topman, burtons etc) and I don't have any fashion qualifications.

Good luck, if you want to know anything more about it, don't hesitate to ask!
    Useful link for you:
    the ideas factory