Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just sitting here wondering, as I do, why do we do the things we do?
We spend years complaining about having to go to scholl, then years reminiscing about how it was the best time of our lives.
We don't do what we want today so that we can prepare for tomorrow, when tomorrow is a great uncertainty and eventually never comes.
We spend a fortune on looking older when we are young, and younger when we are old.
We work our whole lives to provide for our children until they are old enough to work to provide for theirs.
When we wake up and have a bad day we believe that tomorrow will be better without doing anything to make it better.
Why?

I'm feeling a little disillusioned, as I'm sure you can tell. Just failing to see the point in going to a school I don't want to go to so I can take exams I don't want to sit and go to university, which I don't want to do.

People place too much value in money and not enough in life.

{crawls back under the covers}

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    but University, if you're lucky, can supply an interesting lifestyle.
    Some of the things you have mentioned don't have to make a person miserable. I've been told that raising children is an incredibly rewarding experience that brings hope and joy to an individual. It doesn't have to be the sacrifice you're making it out to be.

Sometimes we have to stop analysing why we do things and take them at face value - we just do them because we can and must. The means justifies the end. As long as you can live each day in a way that makes you and other people happy to some extent, then it is a worthwhile day.

When you're young what you want changes on an almost daily basis. Aspirations and wants aren't set in stone and they can change with the wind, so you shouldn't feel too bad about not knowing what you want out of life.

The reasons we do things are often unclear, but with age comes wisdom, and with time comes clarity.

So long as you spend these years of your life developing decent values, you shouldn't go too far wrong. You're right though, many people place far too great an emphasis on money, and it is admirable that you want to shun that path. However, I think you'll find that money does make thw world go around. It is a necessary evil and so long as it doesn't consume you, you'll be fine.
    why do we do the things we do?

Yeah I've been thinking as well...... Why do I wipe my bum? It'll just get dirty again.:rolleyes: :p
    The things I do in my life don't make me happy. Which means I'm not in a position to make other's happy. I wake up each morning (afternoon) and fail to see the point in doing so. So if anyone would like to offer one it would be well recieved.
    Happiness isn't a right, it has to be earned in life.
    Originally posted by 1st_angel
    The things I do in my life don't make me happy. Which means I'm not in a position to make other's happy. I wake up each morning (afternoon) and fail to see the point in doing so. So if anyone would like to offer one it would be well recieved.

I'm a fine one to talk but...get up earlier...it does help. :)

Why are you not happy? Anything specific?
    I never reminisce about school, I had a miserable time there and was so happy to leave.

However, I know what you're saying, I often feel like I am waiting for parts of my life to pass, which is wrong, I should be enjoying the ride, not the destination.
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I never reminisce about school, I had a miserable time there and was so happy to leave.

Me too.
    It served it's purpose, to educate, but I was very glad to leave.
    Personally I'm rather fond of my bed, and my boyfriend's :)

I should be happy. That I know. I have a gorgeous boyfriend who loves me and a lot of good friends. I just feel trapped. I think my Id is trying to get out. But I'm only 17 and as such there are things I can and can't do, for various reasons. I would retreat to the happy little place in my head, but I feel trapped in there now. I used to cut myself so I'd feel better, but even that seems pointless now (good or bad, you decide).

On that :) note I'll shut up. Mmmm.....alcohol.
    What you need is to read Alan Watts' 'This is it' or 'the wisdom of insecurity'...he talks about the futility of people getting up, going to work, slaving their guts out, saving money, taking a holiday, coming home and starting all over again so they can have another holiday...but isn't that what life is? Hard work and then death!!?

Unless you believe in some kind of god or something life just IS.
    'I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.'

'Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.'

'But my dear man, reality is only a Rorschach ink-blot, you know.'

Alan Watts
    in our modern world i believe we have totaly lost touch with human reality. next time you drive past a forrest stop and take a look. you should be living there with family and clan. in your little village huts. round the fire smoking herbs, taking magic mushrooms, telling stories and tales that tie you to each other and the earth. you should me making bread and ale. thats what we have done for the six thousand years we have of written history. it's changed to fast for a lot of us to adapt. me being one of them. the forrest, instead of offering protection actualy looks alien. we cannot comprehend our past. the here and now seems very unstable and the future is quite crushing for some to comprehend.
    this i believe is why drugs are so popular in this machine age. they touch your very soul like little else can. they put us in touch with self and each other. with the here and now and who i am.
    when i drive past or through large housing areas, be it state or private housing i feel a shudder and a gladness that i have escaped that confinement and conformity.
    the sales did my head in. i had to walk away. it was like an assylum that i couldn't comprehend. we have reduced the human condition to wanting to own things. owning things does not satisfy the soul of...well this man for one. people who are depressed cannot be bought to a state of happiness by owning lots of shiny things and gadgets. our world has become very dangerous and pretty much all meaning has been lost.
    am i rambling again.....
    Know totally what you mean.....

'Freedom is Knowledge of ones necessity'
    Originally posted by byny

'Freedom is Knowledge of ones necessity'
    now why couldn't i have put it that simply?
    i'm a very happy and confident man but...this world is realy alien to everything i feel. the world of celbrity and fashion and big brother tv is a fucking big empty meaningless void to me.
    the latest mobile phone does not attract me.
    people attract me. animals also. the beuty of the land and a nice fat spliff.
    this is why art exists... it counterballance the soulless void of the materialist consumerist inescapable monotony that we live through every day.... for every negative there is a positive and society has created a lot of negatives but look at the art that it has inspired... art is the trapped human spirit expressing its longing for freedom. when i get up and play im not living a monotonous life where i get up and go to work and go to bed again day after day till im too old to do it anymore and hten i die.... wehn i get up and play im something else... im not human, money isnt important, stuff isnt important, nothing is important, you become totally engaged and involved in a totally spiritual world.... the world of the music. and thats all that matters.

[/pretentious rant]

ok theres not a lot of point to that except to point out that human spirit may have lost what drove it in the first place, ie survival of the fittest... living in the forrest as mr roll put it but humans will always find another outlet for their spiritual side and look at hte great art thats all around us every day. even that guy at work who annoys everyone by tapping drum beats on the desk. thats just that guy's inner human spirit expressing itself and trying to create and express something outside of the monotony of daily life.

just my extremely pretentious two cents
    thankyou octy. i know where your coming from. music IS my soul food. also humour and love. my art is natural beauty. where i live there is very little concrete. lots of mountains, forests, cliff tops, beaches, old castles etc. if i went back to the city to live as opposed to the occasional visit i do believe it would crush my spirit. crush it to a degree where i would happily take up the heroin again. some of you thrive in the city i know but i just stand and look and see madness. those who thrive in the city no doubt see an empty nothingness in the countryside. place to have a picnic and get out of fast!
    heres to the spiritual survival of us all!
    Originally posted by J

Ah, I'm not the only one then. I have to turn to the modern world for answers. The trouble is that by doing so I'm being pulled in even further.

Mr Roll, how much do places cost where you live?

I want to move somewhere inspiring... My trouble is that I like to study this modern "life". I find it most odd, and sometimes quite troubling.
    ahhh J. when you study something under a microscope or through a telescope, it is from afar that one gets the clearer picture is it not? for me there are answers in the ancient and modern world. for me, there are more answers in the past... yesterday. today brings time for troubled reflection. tomorrow is but a guess.
    as for living in the hills mate...and having a fresh egg for breakfast
    that just fell from the back of a chicken...it's poetry. marijuahna blowing on a summers night breeze...thats my reality.
    trouble is for a young man like you is you have to be able to make a living. not easy in the countryside unless you have a very good trade or profession. your years in the navy may well have given you just that something. we do have industrial estates and science parks out here.
    theres little room out here though for city folk who come in telling people all about hunting and fishing being wrong. your obviously a tourist with attitude! it realy is a different world and perspective out here.
    a lot of people are trying to leave the major cities and head for the hills, so the price of propperty is on the rise. saying that, my oldest son aquired a 500yr old cottage last yr for £15,000 cash. moved straight in with his girlfriend and is rebuilding the place around them.
    the countryside J does give you time to reflect, inbetween the flood defence work and the winter power cuts.
    i wouldn,t trade it for the biggest, poshest house in any city in the world mate.