Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Rebounding

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay quick run down.

Been really good mates with this lad for 8 years but we drifted from being close mates to being pub mates when he started going out with his girlfriend.

Anyway 5 weeks ago she dumped him after 4 1/2 years so he sort of came back into our group a bit more.

Christmas eve he saw her and they had a cry and an arguement etc, (which i didn't realise till yesterday). That night we were all out and we pulled each other. Next day everything was okay and we were fine with each other. Then he texts me to say i do like u but i need to take things easy are you interested. I said that i think friends would be the best thing for it.

Now was this a wise choice or do you think owning up to the fact that i liked him would have been better.

I do like him but its pretty easy to figure out that he's on the rebound and i just don't know if he does like me or whether he just misses not having someone there and as a friend i'm probably the closest thing to it.

My thoughts are just cut loose and put it in the past but some friends think that giving it time and then seeing what happens would be better.

Sorry for the long message and can i just point out that it's not often i don't know what to do :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's good that ya realised it's probably a rebound thing.

I'd think friends would be the best thing for you, maybe you could have another talk to him about it. If you've liked him for a while then it might take some time to sort your feelings out, but if it's just recently you've kinda liked him as more than a mate, then it should be OK and the friendship shouldn't be affected too much.

Good luck with it :)
    I dont think when someone moves on quickly its always a rebound thing. I think if they haven't been getting along well for a while then its possible they were staying together through fear of being apart or one is blackmailing/controlling the other. Seen it happen and the relationship that followed certainly wasn't a rebound thing. Might be might not be. You never know.
    Re: Rebounding
    Originally posted by Carolina
    Then he texts me to say i do like u but i need to take things easy are you interested.

Sorry to be so bluntly honest, but there's a 99% chance that the text meant, "I'm still hoping to win my ex back, no matter what I've said about that, but will you be prepared to hang around as a substitute in case that fails?"

You made the right choice.
    Re: Re: Rebounding
    Originally posted by Black_Knight

Sorry to be so bluntly honest

quite alright, thats usually my line however ;)

I'm certain now i made the right decision but as said in the past talking helps and so him and i sat down last night and talked it through.

As someone said it'll take a while to sort my head out but then again i'm pretty resilient and once a problem is sorted i tend to return to sanity. :p