Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"your guide to the real world"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It is a depressing thought when a guide to "the real world" is about things I do not participate in at all. Sex, drugs, drinking, pulling and partying to me are not "the real world", and I doubt they are to a lot of people. Am I wrong to take greater joy from pleasures of the mind than of the body? Plato, Aristotle, Kant and Mill would think not, I'm sure they would look upon me highly. You can label me as "sad" or a "loser", but in my eyes I am living the life I want.

Adieu

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's your life and you can do as you choose mate. I personally like to combine mental and physical pleasures, surely that makes for a more compete life- both thinking *and* doing?

Welcome anyway.
    Who says I dont do? I play the violin, I take regular exercise upon the moors, I read poetry aloud to my beloved, what more could I wish? I should point out that I have a partner who shares my ideas on life, and that her and I are very happy. However I find it annoying when people believe the perfect idea of a good time is getting arse-faced on cheap beer, eating a kebab, then shagging some girl in a druken stupper. Repugnant!

Adieu
    If someone isn't hurting you, I don't see why it should bother you how they enjoy themselves. A lot of people enjoy a variety of things, yes, I enjoy going out and having a drink and a flirt, however that doesn't make you somehow morally superior to me and the millions of others who enjoy doing the same. Different strokes for different folks.

And don't get lost on those moors, Heathcliff.
    Well it does make me morally superior in the eyes of nearly all moralists ;P
    Prove that they are right, poetry boy. If I am correct in remembering from studying Philosophy last year, these so called moralists didn't always lead the happiest, most upstanding lives themselves, so I can be damned if I am fleading my life now, in 2002, based upon what was thought to be moral by some middle class, rich white men from hundreds of years ago!

If you are so happy with your lot, why are you coming on here and complaining about young people being interested in sex, drugs and the like? Why don't you go back to your country meadow and read your girlfriend some poetry!
    If only it were true eh, to be able to live in a higher realm of being? However as the song goes; you and me babe aint nuthin but mammals. We humans are such contradictions, trying to be something better when really we are no better than any other animal on the planet. I dont live near any moors, I just watched the hound of the baskervilles on TV, plus I have been drinking too much, christmas and all, and so thought I'd impersonate Holmes on here, I failed, ah well.
    Nieztshe died of sypholis! but then again he wasnt an ideal moralist. However you are right; Plato was a phaedophile, Aristotle beat his wife, Kant dressed in womens clothes, and JS Mill was just a boring swine.
    Oh what a shame. I was looking for a young man just like you to woo me. Still, fancy a kebab and a beer?
    And Poetry, urgh! Give me a William Shatner Sci-fi novel over a poem any day. And Shatner is the essence of tedium!
    Kebab? No, I dont trust foreign food since a bad case of food poisoning which left me with the ability to crap thru the eye of a needle. I'd prefer a bag of chips and a battered sausage. Beer? yes of course, very kind of you to offer.
    You're paying mate! We might be in 2002 but I still expect the man to buy me drinks.
    Well, I am a keen follower of the feminist movement, equality I say! You buy a round, I say I left my wallet at home, you buy another round, all good.
    Originally posted by benjy
    And Poetry, urgh! Give me a William Shatner Sci-fi novel over a poem any day. And Shatner is the essence of tedium!

I know one of his relatives :D
    Well I must say this thread kept me well amused! Katy put up a darn good fight! I particularly liked:
    And don't get lost on those moors, Heathcliff.
    Teeheehee!