Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Living out in 2nd year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm at Lancaster Uni, in my first year, and I'm having a great time so far.

However, the one thing that's really worrying me is about living off campus next year. I know who I want to live with, and I spoke about it with one person a few weeks ago, but since then nobody had brought the topic up - not with me anyway. The problem I'm having is bringing the topic up again. I don't want to ask someone if I can live with them, and put them in a hard situation if, in fact they don't want to live with me. I'm kind of waiting for someone to ask me, but I'm worried that if I do this, everyone will sort it out and I'll end up with nobody to live with.

Also, and I know it's probably different at most Uni's, but what is the average number of people that share a house in a second year?? I know it depends on the house, but what kind of number is it normally??

Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    4-6 in my experience, depending on the size of the house of course..........

I wouldn't stress about it yet, you've got 10 months till you move in
    As Toadborg said generally it is 4 to 6 people. Prob not a good idea for less than 4 cos it might get a bit lonely as they will often be times when u r the only one in the house and i imagine houses with more than 6 are chaotic.

Living in a house is excellent just make sure you are with people you really get on with and don't go for the first house you visit - if possible get some advice from some 2nd/3rd years about decent areas to live and average rents.

There really is nothing to worry about and you really don't need to start looking for a few months.
    My sister went to Lancaster Uni, she lived out in her second and third year in a house with about 4 other people. Try asking people after christmas, you may get a better respose then. One last tip: 5 Hope Street, Lancaster. Three storey, 5 bed terrace, plus basement ;)
    I'm in exactly the same position!
    I have loads of friends now but nobody has asked me about living together next year and I'm getting a bit anxious that I'll end up with nobody to live with.
    Does anyone know if this has happened to others and if so what did they do? Reapply to halls?:(
    Fortunately this year, although I didn't have it on my choices, i got put in a sort of Brookside type area which is 23 houses all of students with six in each. Also, I have a really close friend who went with me and who is on the same course so it wasn't that hard to make friends.. Next year, we are looking for a place for eight people, most of whom are on my course. What I said when I was asking people was if they wanted to move in together. Get it sorted quickly as I didn't realise how many people have already made plans, but fortunately most of those are people who I didn't want to move in with anyway.:D Fortunately, the people who I am moving in with are great and I'd consider them 'friends' and think we will get on together.

And another point, there's not 10 months to sort it out, if you want half decent accomodation, you're going to have to start looking as early as january, or at least that's what most of the estate agents near where I live have told us, because the best properties go first, and you really don't want to be living in some hole.
    I lived with two other people but that was unusual, most people in Durham live with about 6 because the houses all have laodsa rooms.
    I'm in my first year and uni and have been thinking bout moving out next year. I know who i wanna live with and we've discussed it, was pretty easy as the five I'm with is who I wanna be with but theres one girl who no one wants to live with, I wouldn't mind living with her but I'd rather live with everyone else. I feel sorry for her as she hasn't made many friends. If you start looking and chatting to people at the start of term everything shoudl turn out good.
    First off, you should try to be more active about it. Why should you wait for other people to ask you? Who cares if they do say no? At least then you can tick them off your potential list.

Find a couple of houses you like, then ask if your chosen people want to look at them with you. That makes their job easy because you have done half the work. Obviously it is easier if you know how many people you want to live with first.

I personally would say that more than 3 others is too much, but that depends what type of person you are. If you're the sociable, energetic type then yeah, go for a house full of people, but remember that when it comes to exam time it might be difficult getting them all to shut up, unless you are all on the same course doing the same exams.

Finally forget the fact that it is months away. The older, wiser students have probably already sorted their house, if you wait until the last minute the best ones will have gone.
    Also try to avoid the room next to the bathroom, if you can.

And it helps if you can get people who prefer the same level of heat in the house. Otherwise it can be a right pain.