Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

attendance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
well,basically due to mainly depression and stuph ive not had the most glowing attendance record ever,but im still up to date on all my work and a straight a student.
ive started considering colleges and its really worrying methat i might miss out because of my attendance...
do you think colleges will take it into account?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference.

I had really bad attendance at school but I still got decent marks which is what most colleges and uni's are most interested in. Don't think my uni even looked at attendance.

So yeah, doubt it'll b a problem unless one of your teachers says smething in their statement which they prob won't do if they know its been for a genuine reason and the fact that you've kept up to date with any work.

Try not to worry! I'm sure it'll be fine. :)
    Further education colleges don't really care about attendance. As long as you get the grades they'll have you. Colleges are alot more laid back than schools are. You'll be surprised.
    Further education colleges don't really care about attendance. As long as you get the grades they'll have you. Colleges are alot more laid back than schools are. You'll be surprised.

unless you went to my college.

which has more of a concentration camp air to it :mad:

no one can really say if college would suit you, its somethin best done for yourself.

why dont you give it a go? if it turns out to be shit you can leave. its not compulsary and at least you can say you gave it a shot.
    when i applied to my college my attendance was really bad but i still managed to be accepted into college. they dont really care about attendance just as along as you achieve good grades.
    When teachers write their statement about you they don't put bad things in usually. So if your attendence has been really bad then they'll just miss it out altogether. Talk to your teachers about it though. You've had a genuine reason for poor attendance, it's not as if you've been skiving. They may even put in something how despite problems you have still managed to be a straight A student and keep up with your work. This comes out looking good on you. I had a similar problem and my teacher worked it to my advantage so talk to them and try! Good luck! :)

:heart: saucepot :heart:
    Your teachers have nothing to do with your daily attendance. They only keep track of your class attendance.
    Your daily attendance is taken by the guidance office. If you are absent a certain number of times the School's Social Worker will call your house.
    I don't know whether your school follows this policy, but that is what they do in my school.

Keep your broken arm inside your sleeve.
    Chinese Proverb
    Aye...

don't think that they generally look at attendance levels.. they never ask for it on application forms or anything like that, do they?

All they ask is for your grades..... your whole life dependant on a few little letters! hehe..

I had a pretty shitty attendance in my last year at school (mainly becasue of reasons similar to yours rockerchick ).. think it was somewhere in the 60-70% range, yet i still got some decent grades and got into the college i wanted :)

try not to worry about it too much, you should be fine :)
    Yes but your attendance can affect your grades. If you are absent frequently then you will miss homeworks which might keep you back a grade.
    Another way absence can lower your grades is not learning the criteria. Not learning the criteria makes us struggle on tests and state exams.

Make hunger thy sauce, as a medicine for health.
    Thomas Tusser (1524)
    Universities will look at your attendence and better colleges will, but if you're just going to your local college to do some vocational course then I very much doubt they will. They'll look at your grades only.

However, maybe you should think about whether college is right for you. If you can't go to school very often, which is compulsary, then do you think you're going to go to college, where they don't give a shit if you're there or not as long as they're getting money from the govt. to teach you?

Hmmmm. If you want to go to a certain college and they ask about attendence I am sure your doctor will give you a note as depression isn't something you can diagnose yourself! Go back to the doctor who diagnosed you and ask about a covering letter re: your attendence.
    I'm not on a vocational course... i'm doing a-level's (Maths, Chemistry and Computing). They aren't the easiest courses and i needed to get some decent grades to get on them! I had a low attendance,m but i always caught up on the work. As long as ya try ya best to find out what ya've missed, thenya should be sorted! :)