Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to get rid of man t*ts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I want to find out some exercises that I can do to get rid of my man tits, any ideas?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by Ilson-Youth

But i know that allister is the fitness guy around here, so perhaps PM him.

Alistair's gone, mate. He left a couple months ago.

Good advice though.

Okay, I'll go a little more in depth.

The primary cause of man boobs is fat under the skin, over the muscles. The only way to get rid of them is to adjust your diet and exercise. What you are shooting for is to have your calorie intake to be under what you burn. The easiest and most reliable (ie. so you don't put the weight back on) is to do more exercise and eat less. It can be done with just diet or exercise, but is less likely to work.

If you just diet, eventually your body will adjust your metabolism to suit your lower intake. It becomes harder to lose weight because of this.

Now, there are two types of exercise that you should do to lose this weight. The first is cardiovascular exercise, the stuff like running, swimming, walking, that raises your heart rate. You should shoot for anything that raises your heart rate to about 120-130 beats per minute. THis is the ideal range for burning fat.

I would suggest anything, if you normally catch the bus to work or school, walk or ride your bicycle. Go to they gym in your free time... you get the picture. The more often you get exercise, the more quickly you will lose weight. Binges of exercise don't really help either, you have to do this regularly.

The second form would be through weightlifting. Weightlifting does not directly cause you to lose much fat. However, every five pounds of muscle you add causes you to burn about 100 calories more per day. As a pound of fat is about 3500 calories, if you put on five pounds of muscle and your calorie intake was balanced evenly with your metabolism before this, you will lose one pound of fat in 35 days or so.

The scond reason why weight lifting will help you lose your man boobs would be that the extra muscle in your chest and even your back will pull the skin tighter over your chest. This will have a much smaller effect than the actual fat loss, seeing as the muscle is under the fatty tissue and can only do a limited amount, but every bit helps. It will also help tone the area so as you lost the fat your chest will take on the shape of your pectoral muscles more and more.

ONe last point, you cannot lose fat in one particular area. It's impossible. As you lose fat, you will lose it over your entire body, for example your legs and back as well as what you are shooting for, your chest. If you focus on your chest you will become discouraged and want to quit, because you won't notice the other parts of your body getting slimmer. Try not to do this. Just realize that this will take quite a bit longer than you can imagine in your head, but that it is happening.

I have a friend who was in your situation, he started off at 250 pounds and now weighs 185. He no longer has man boobs, in fact, he has a huge chest and defined muscles. It took him two to three years. I can't even give you a timetable for hoow long it will take you, it depends on so many things that anyone who can guarantee you losing a stone in a month or some bullshit like that is lying to you. If you keep it up, it will happen. The more you do, the faster it will happen.

Little thigns can help too. Cut out a can of soda a day. That can work out to a pound of fat a month if you don't eat more to compensate.

My advice to you regarding the diet thing is to cut out things that you know you shouldn't be eating. Ie. soda, candy, fried foods, etc. These have empty calories, yes a chocolate bar has nutritional value, otherwise it wouldn't have any calories, but you know that if you ate the same amount of calories worth of salmon or vegtables it would be better for you, wouldn't it?

The kind of calories you eat are important because things like refined sugar are quickly metabolized by the body. If there is no immediate need for the glucose, then your body sends it to be stored as fat.

This is a LONG post. If you don't understand something, post here, and I'll check every now and then.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be able to do it.

And sorry to take so long to get abck to you, I haven't been on thesite nearly as often as in the past.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot, Allesandro. Do you think that doing press-ups or sit ups would help?
  • Options
    I dont want to take the piss, but anabolic steroids make them grow more so if you take them quit. also alchohol causes them too. there was something else, it may have been cigarettes, but i cant remember for sure, but try having an overall healthier lifestyle as well.
  • Options
    Shy boy- I don't take anabolic steroids or smoke. I have quite a healthy lifestyle.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Agrofrog
    Thanks a lot, Allesandro. Do you think that doing press-ups or sit ups would help?

sorry to take so long to get back to you Agro...

been a bit busy.

Press-ups will help because they work and build up you pectoral muscles, the muscles under your chest.

Sit-ups will help because they are an activity and any activity burns calories. However, they will have less of an impact than the same time spent jogging slowly, because jogging is a cardiovasular activity which are the kind that burn fat the best.

Ie. ten minutes spent doing sit-ups might burn 20-30 calories (a guess, don't hold me too that), a good jog will probably burn two to three times that in the same time period.