Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

warm up for jogging

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i've just taken up jogging recently and although i warm up pretty well before and after my jog i find that the muscle in front of my shins gets very tight and sore.

can anyone tell me the best way to stretch the muscle there because i haven't a clue, thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I used to get this too, as you run more often it will happen less and less.

There are two stretches that I do to alleviate this. The first you should do is to raise your foot up and down, ie rotate it up and down through the whole range of motion of your ankle. Do it quickly until the muscle is feeling tired.
    Then find a wall. Leaning against the wall, point the toe of your foot and gently put weight on the top/toe of your foot...so the weight is helping push your toe back and extend your ankle.

I hope that this is clear enough, its kind of hard to explain this without showing you. If you have any questions, post and I'll clarify.
    what al said, but if they hurt you should ice them after you jog. it could easily turn into shin splints (if its not already) and those can easily turn into stress fractures.
    Originally posted by Alessandro
    I used to get this too, as you run more often it will happen less and less.

There are two stretches that I do to alleviate this. The first you should do is to raise your foot up and down, ie rotate it up and down through the whole range of motion of your ankle. Do it quickly until the muscle is feeling tired.
    Then find a wall. Leaning against the wall, point the toe of your foot and gently put weight on the top/toe of your foot...so the weight is helping push your toe back and extend your ankle.

I hope that this is clear enough, its kind of hard to explain this without showing you. If you have any questions, post and I'll clarify.

I've been trying this when i've been jogging but i don't think i'm doing it right because my shins are still as sore as ever. am i meant to push my foot towards the ground with my hands whilst resisting with the muscle in my leg?

thanks for your help
    No, don't resist with the muscle, that will just make things worse.

The idea is to stretch this muscle out, so you want to allow it to be limp (or as limp as its going to get) while stretching. The other thing is, stretching is most effective when the muscle is warmed up and has blood flowing to it. Doing this the second you take a step out the door is not going to do nearly as much as if you jog for 5-10 minutes and then stretch. You should also stretch after your run is finished.

This is the muscle that opposes your calf muscle. Ie. like your bicep and tricep oppose each other to move your arm. So you would want your calf muscle to be exerting itself when stretching this muscle. (I will look up the name so that we can talk about it correctly!)

The other thing is, when you start running after not for a long time, they will hurt to a degree a lot of the time, regardless of what you do. The muscles are probably weaker than they should be to do this. I found that they pretty much went away after about a month of running. Its just like doing a bench press to build your chest. When you first start, you will be sore all of the time, but as time passes, it will bother you less and less until it stops.