Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you agree with this assessment of Pakistan headed to extremist ruin.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The paragraph starting with "People" expresses what I heard isthe reason we're headed into Iraq.

http://www.charm.net/~marc/chronicle/pakistan_jul02.html

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Basically I would say this shows clearly is Musharef is two-faced, but then thats nothing new. It does not actually suggest what you assert though, that the Musharef government itself is heading toward extremism.

What is asserted and rightly so is the societal condition which is fragmented and highly prone to accept violent means of conflict resolution, but that is a different matter to what you are suggesting.

Try to look a bit deeper at some other points raised such as the contribution that our own US self interests have had in promoting this increased expression of hatred and violence.

We are seen as warmongering greedy Anti-Islamics by the larger percentage of the world population and that in itself is not only destroying our moral justification for the WoT but is undermining our success by fueling the attraction of people have for these radical groups as a means of getting back at us and those who side with us for (as they see it).

check out this article which might shed some light on just how badly this whole WoT is being conducted...

http://www.yellowtimes.org/article.php?sid=934&mode=thread&order=0
    R our ships in the Middle East also to go into Pakistan in case it falls and nuclear weapons could fall into the death cult radical Muslims?
    lol. kinda hard to get a ship into Pakistan since it's landlocked.

And once again, the government of Pakistan is not about to fall to anyone let alone some fringe groups.

The issue you should be asking yourself is why noone is raising questions about Bush's inconsistent rhetoric used to justify a war with Iraq (i.e. Nasty dictator, WMD's, human rights abuses, etc...) whilst calling Pakistan (which is equally as bad if not worse) an "ally".

Is any aspect of Bush's selective finger pointing starting to spark your interest as to just what our goverrnment is really up to in all this??
    No, remember. Pakistan is on the Arabian Sea, Karachi is a huge port city.

Here's an article from the UK Guardian that talks about Al Qaeda being allowed to operate along border provinces.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,857642,00.html
    Indeed, I stand corrected. sorry.
    And I'm glad to see you're getting some news from the Guardian (left-wing paper) as well as the conventional right-wing sources.

But in order to keep things into perspective we have to look at home as much as away. There might have been some concern about the fundamentalisation of politics in a number of Muslim countries, but it is also true that the US has undergone a christian right-wing transformation since Bush has gained power (so imagine what the image of America has become abroad in the last two years).

Therefore as much as you worry about a number of Muslim countries falling under the influence of mindless extremists, people across the Arab world are no doubt worrying about the US falling under the influence of the ultra right-wing, zionist-friendly lobby. Of which Bush seems to be a pivotal figure.

Remember that for every action there is an equal reaction. And I'm sure that as you talk about Muslim countries falling under the influence of religious fundamentalists, there is a message board out there in the Middle East where young Arabs genuinely worry about the prospect of the US falling under the spell of christian/zionist fundamentalists.
    Not to get off topic, but the Labor Party in Isreal is prepared to hand over a lot of Jeruselem and co administer holy sites with a Palestinian State.

That is very good news.
    Indeed, now if they can only win the election peace might have a chance.