Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

DNA vs Spearmint Rhino (+lasers)

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Once upon a time, there was a dance club in Birmingham called DNA. In the summer, it was brought out by Spearmint Rhino. I was curious if anyone on this board has been inside since the conversion. Strip clubbing isn't my scene so I doubt I'll ever go.

Lasers in many nightclubs I have visited are green, with the exception of DNA. It was a full-coloured whitelight split via PCAOM (geek-speak etc..) For UK readers: Are there any other clubs or venues equipped with a laser of more than one colour? I don't know where the DNA laser is now, but the take over was the worst thing I have heard for many years.

Finally, I include comparison pictures that I found on the DNA and Spearmint Rhino web sites.

comp1.gif

comp2.gif
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    they used to hold Sundissential at DNA now it has gone to the Acadamy which just isn't on!!!!

And what with Super clubs all on the down (depending on who you talk to) whats with home and cream closed :( and Gatecrasher going once monthly could we see more clubs being turned into other forms of entertainment, like strip joints or god forbid Bingo halls.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Tell me about it Diver!

I've been to SS twice and had a great time. I just loved DNA for its layout, sense of cosmopolitian, lights and of course, the lasershow.

Last year, DNA hosted a Commadore 64 night. I didn't go to it, but I did a search on DNA and couldn't believe it when I found some Mpeg/Divx videos on the net! I downloaded one of them, to re-live the great moments I had in the club. I'll post the links if you like.

Also, the SS site has a great video of the Academy venue, but I haven't been to it yet. I'm a bit broke at the moment, being a jobseeker for over six months!
  • Options
    DNA was shite anyway. Ok so I am only saying that because I got thrown out but it was still shite.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    DNA was shite anyway. Ok so I am only saying that because I got thrown out but it was still shite.

That is a babyish statement because you are blaming someone/something else on your dismissal from the club. If you get chucked out of a club, then its pretty much your own doing.

"I don't like this taxi because he refused to take me home."
    "I don't like this pop group because they suck."
    "I don't like Marmite because.... I kinda don't like it."

Please can we only have contructive comments on any forum other than "anything goes".
  • Options
    Excuse me?

I did think it was a shite club, full of underage kids who try to grope you, nowhere to sit, overpriced, vile bouncers who force you to put even a thin jacket in the cloakroom, and actually I was thrown out for a really stupid pathetic reason.

I am only a small girl and the bouncer totally over reacted, twisted my arms and left marks on my skin as he was gripping me so hard. So I think I am perfectly justified in saying it's a shite club.

Anyway, the dome has reopened now, so all the underagers have somewhere to go again. Get over yourself, and don't call me babyish!
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation. Very sorry about the first time round because it wasn't clear.

I am male but only 5 foot 4. At the age of 20, I had half-price bus fares!

Anyway, for clubbing I take a passport with me even though I'm now 24. I suggest you do the same. Even though I haven't travelled abroad for six years, I renewed my passport for this very reason. It should save hassle.
  • Options
    Er thanks. I am only little but I don't get ID'd. Well, last time was in about April. I look my age in the face. Don't like to take my passport out in case I get wrecked and lose it. I still pay child wherever possible too.
  • Options
    About the laser, Evolution in Cardiff bay has recently had one fitted. impressive it is too.:D

Was used in full effect for Bionic two weeks ago for the first time *I think for the first time*:crazyeyes
  • Options
    It sounds as if Bionic has only just moved into Evolution. I checked it with Google search engine and it brought up references to a club called Emporian. This must be the previous Cardiff club that hosted Bionic. Thanks for mentioning the club, Ants.

Apparently, Majestyks and Tall Trees both have whitelights. I was also told of a club in Bradley but I forgot what it is called now.