Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

the winter cold

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
yea, thats right. ya know the feeling, stuffy nose, sore throat, pretty much feel like shit all over...

so what are some remidies? besides stuffing myself with sinus and cold pills i got nothing. any ideas?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    vitamin C :)
    and where does that come from? certian types of foods or pills or what? [ignorance]
    You can get it from oranges and various other fruits but its much easier to buy vitamin tablets...
    Is it Feed a fever starve a cold ...or the other way round??

Take Ginger and Garlic tablets..they'll help ..and deink lots of water
    i usually get a cold around october and it will last til march or april.... :mad: :rolleyes:

i take sudafed and paracetamol (decongestants and painkillers) and keep warm.

apparently warm drinks do good things too, but i don't drink them, so i wouldn't know.
    Keeping warm makes no difference except that bugs are more likely to hang around in humid places...A cold is a virus and has nowt to do with the weather.
    Originally posted by byny
    Keeping warm makes no difference except that bugs are more likely to hang around in humid places...A cold is a virus and has nowt to do with the weather.

getting cold a lot lowers your immunity to viruses. that's why more people get colds/flu in winter. they're around in summer, but the warm weather is immune-system friendly.

and once you're actually ill, keeping warm (not too warm) just makes you feel better....
    I swear by echinacea to boost my immune system. If i feel like i might have a cold coming on, i start taking it, and usually the cold doesnt appear, or if it does, keep taking the echinacea and the cold shouldnt last that long, or be as bad as normal. since i discovered echinacea i hardly ever get colds. Even my husband believes me now, after his last cold lasted for about 2 days and very mild, unlike the usual 2 weeks before he feels human again.
    well like my nan used to say, "u dont need all them pills and modern crap, all you need is a bit of plain choclate and a bit of orange" (choc for the iron=more red blood cells and so more energy) and the orange for vitamin C.

I always find a cup of lemsip with a fresh slice of lemon, for that lil extra bit of vitamin C does the job.

:)
    As Balddog and 'Meeeee' said, Vit C comes from citric fruits.

As I was in hospital a lot when I was younger (I've had over 20 operations..), I've got good immunity. I'm also optimal in the cold being a hot-blooded.

This, however makes me prone to heat strokes as I discovered in 1992. I also had a flu, but that wasn't until April time in 1993.
  • DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
    i was really sick myself for about 2-3 weeks in october, so I bought some chewable vitamin C tablets and have been taking them everyday. all better.