Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rock Auditions?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
All this shit on TV at the moment with fame academy and pop idol etc etc has made me wonder, where do all the auditions for rock bands go on? and does anyone know where can i find out about them???? wouldnt mind giving it a shot if it meant being in a decent band, not some pile of trash boy "band"!:cool:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Bloody hell. So it is not ok for pop acts to audition and be manufactured, but you're saying it is ok to audition to be in a rock band? That's the same thing you moose.

Sorry, but real rock bands should be friends who get together and jam, and then go from there. Granted a lot of bands audition for another member, but the essence of rock isn't about being manufactured. You should never sell yourself out like that mate.

Get together with a few mates and make a band. Who cares if you never make the big time? You'll still have your integrity intact... p'sh!!
  • Options
    already in one :P! Weren't KoRn manufactured?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Quicksilver
    Weren't KoRn manufactured?
    What's your point? I was talking about decent rock.....! Miaow! :p
  • Options
    Depends what you mean by manufactured. Most bands are to an extent.

Do they design their own album covers ?? Do they decide what singles come out, and when ?? It sounds silly but it's all part of the manufactured music industry of today.

I suppose for music purists, and those interested in the background of groups it matters if they formed the band themselves, but because of the record companies nowadays, just about every band from Westlife to Bon Jovi to Queens of a Stone Age are manufactured to different extents.

You get manufactured rock bands just as you get manufactured pop bands (although admittedly less). And the pop band Busted were mates and jammed together before hitting the big time, yet rock fans probably still think their music is crap.

Personally I couldn't care less if someone's music is manufactured, commercial, non commercial, whatever. If I like it, I'll listen to it.

Rock Idol it is then :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Brian Kitten
    Do they design their own album covers ?? Do they decide what singles come out, and when ??
    May sound stupid but the majority of bands that I like do design their album covers, choose their songs, arrange their own gigs etc. Thats because I don't really like a lot of bands that are commerical. If I do it is because I liked them before and now they're well known. It isn't because I go out of my way to hate commerical bands, I just don't have the time to listen to the radio (even if I wanted to!) etc.

Most of the bands I listen too are totally against huge record company input, and many of them aren't even signed to major lables or indeed any labels at all. Thats the thing, when people start talking about music they automatically think people listen to stuff they know, or stuff that gets in the charts, regardless of what genre it is in.
    The underground is huge, and the underground is great!

People may think I'm being some kind of music snob, but I too like what I like regardless of its commerical value. I like sum 41, they're one of the most commerical *rock* bands around. I don't really like the singles they're put out or their personalities, but I like their 3 albums. I also like Daniel Bedingfield, have done for ages since he played at my local football ground a few years ago. He's a pop act.

My original point however, is that rock music almost always sounds better if bands do their own thing, it honestly does come accross in the music - it has more soul, heart and passion.
  • Options
    You get manufactured rock bands just as you get manufactured pop bands (although admittedly less). And the pop band Busted were mates and jammed together before hitting the big time, yet rock fans probably still think their music is crap.

that's cos they are....
    :(