Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

ways to become rich

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have heard of loads of people, who have even been as far as rehab and have come out with a brite idea, and are now millionaires, but what do they do? I can sit here all day and can't think of a single way to become rich.

I am a teenage (17) college drop out, spending loads of cash to become an airline pilot, currently doing the theory part and it is rock hard but sometimes I think there must be ways to just start up a company or something and become rich!

Don't say win the lottery!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    guess nobody gets as bored as me during the day then!

:rolleyes:
    If it was that easy we'd all be millionaires hun!
    rob a bank?
    dont' purchace crap

(sorry, i'm not helpful)
    Being a frustrated job hunter likewise with Faith, I think that 'luck' plays more of a role than skill. As for getting 'rich', it doesn't happen early in life, unless you are one of the few who get a £17k job, as soon as they quit school after the GCSEs. I've known people to have done this.

The UK is in true recession. My mother said that everything I've done so far is right, and there is nothing more that I can do.

Jobseekers who remain on the dole for six months gets transferred to a scheme called "New Deal". Because I showed so much evidence in my job search, I was tranferred to New Deal a couple of weeks ago, even though I've only signed on for 13 weeks so far.

On the same day, I met the advisor for New Deal, discussing on better ways of job hunting. There was nothing she knew that I didn't know. This ranged from lowering my sights, to my unsolicited letters, right up the the elaborate-looking MS Word document where I log all of the job status details.

I've got a meeting on Monday for a voluntary job, in hope of a lead into a proper job. On Tuesday, I got a job interview with local Probation Service. This is my last lifeline as far as paid jobs goes.
    Re: ways to become rich
    Originally posted by scoot69er
    I am a teenage (17) college drop out, spending loads of cash to become an airline pilot, currently doing the theory part and it is rock hard but sometimes I think there must be ways to just start up a company or something and become rich!

Ok - I know the costs involved for an Air Transport Pilots Licence (ATPL) as this is my career aim, but seriously you need to grab a hold of reality, the current situation on the airlines (US & UK) is totally screwed up at the moment, training yourself to an employable level will be atelast £100,000 (PPL, CPL, ATPL, And all the trimmings)

Airlines just wont take fresh candidates who are not type rated anymore (OK it does happen occasionally, but you need to be a straight A Student and have a dent set of A-Levels), you need to have atleast 500 Hours on a type rating of lets say a Boeing 737, or A320 to atleast even be considered! I Know this sounds harsh but it is the reality at the moment

The best course of action is to join the RAF and apply to become a Pilot, they offer the best training in the world and pay you to do it! Commercial Airlines snatch up Military Pilots as they are the best trained for doing the job

Good Luck!
    Apestyler. Stick with it, it will pay off in the long run.
    There are very few people, with very few good ideas, that can start up a company and become rich, and they have to work damned hard. They often have to take chances that could ruin their company, make them bankrupt, and ruin their personal lives. It isn't an easy option. What you're doing will pay off in the long run, it's just that you can't see that right now.
    Flying is obviously something you love to do, so that's a bonus. A bonus that many people just don't have to their job.
    Joining the RAF isn't that easy an option either. You'll have to sign up for several years, and risk having your arse shot off too (look at the current state of World affairs, and how much we're involved with peacekeeping at the moment, and the future prospect of wars).
    What you're doing at the moment sounds like it's aimed specifically towards commercial flying, which is where the good money, and good jobs are. Stick with it.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Cheers for the encouragement Mr.Wobble

Unfortunatly you need to train hard (and spend hard) before you can even qualify for getting a placement with the majors (BA, Air2000, Easy Jet, Ryan Air etc etc)

Yes commercial airline pilots are high profile, and very well paid, for example;

First Officer: £25k - £30k
    Senior FO: £60k
    Captain : £100k
    Senior Cpt: £100k+

Very attractive - I can only hope that some airline will offer me partial sponsorship or something
    Apestlyer.

Too late now.

I already have PPL/IMC/Night/Multi. First stage exams end of Jan, Mod 2 end of July with BristolGS. CPL/IR with Leeds for 6 months after July (depending on ATPL results), then down to Southampton for 767/757 rating with CTC....it's all planned out.

I hear from inside "a" charter airline (won't say which...cant' say) that Second officer recruitment is to start April 2004, just the right time as I will have finished and have all the tickets. Min requirements are (f)/Full ATPL, 200TThrs, and you get to fly a 767/757...no rating required but recommended.

What you say about education is only true for sponsorship, I don't know how you can come to that conclusion when talking direct entry...it's aptitude/personality more than anything in the world, when everyone has an ATPL....you don't look for the A* graduate who could be an ignorant swine who think's he/she's is the "don". You'd be suprised what the correct answer is to the quesiton "What would you do if your captain turned up to the crew breifing room and you smelt alcohol on his breath" is.....

Oh, luck aswell plays about 75% of the part. I heard that Airtours have 2 piles of applications, in/out. For every 3 apps, they put 2 on the out pile and one on the in pile....sly method but cuts the numbers down.

Hope I am in the in pile of "the" airline.

I have a lot of backing from my aero club, and they have offered the chance of flying instructing should my career intention not workout...i.e RHS of a large jet.

Then there's "a" corpoerate company who's also offered there support in that area except I would have to pay for my own LJ45A rating...another £7,000...(cheers bro ;) ).

Thanks anyway.

Oh, current average salaries stand at:

GENAV Instructing: £7,000-£14,000 (have to be very lucky for upper limit).

Second Officer: £18,000-29,500
    First Officer: £36,000-39,000
    Senior FO: £42,000-£50,000
    Captain: £56,000-£72,500
    Training Captain: £100,000 +

Good luck...hope to see you in the air sometime.
    Hi mate

Wow your pretty far down the training line! I havent even completed PPL (ran outta money).Thanks for the inside info, and please keep us updated with your progress to the RHS, you seem an ideal candidate for the job!

I would appreciate any more inside info about training sponsorship/oppurtunities if possible, as you obviously know alot more than myself

Cheers, and the best of luck with your career

Fly Safe
    Kewl!

Where abouts you doing your PPL?
    Done around 38 hours, about 5 of those are P1, so quite a way to go :(
    Get rich quick? Contacts, Capital, Hard Work.

For every person you hear about getting rich quickly there are 99 others who failed.
    Marry with a very very rich woman. Choice a woman who goes die early.