Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weight watchers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i joined Weight Watchers today,
i weigh in at 14 stone, 5 lbs, although a lot of my friends say i really dont look that weight. im 5 foot 6. a lot of my friends and work colleagues say i look about 11 or 12 stone, and to be honest i myself dont think i look 14 stone.
i know im big boned, and overweight with it, but the girl at Weight Watchers has set me a target of 11stone!! a lot of people i have told think its a bit much. i am already very active as i work in a leisure centre and im always at the gym or the pool. i would have thought my target would have been about 12 stone, i am just wondering if anyone else thinks this is a bit much?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you think thats too high a target and will dishearten you then say so. You never know, though, you might surprise yourself.
    According to the National Health institute's Body mass index, 11st for a woman of 5'6" is 'normal' weight so as a final goal this should be fine but being muscular would mean you weigh slightly more anyway and it seems alot to head for from the start.
    Perhaps you could set yourself goals in between where you treat yourself to something you really want. It might not seem such a huge step.
    Good luck anyway!:)
    Hi ya!

I go weightwatcher too! I blame the munchies I get from smoking!! It gave me a big booty! When I started I was given a target of 10% of my body weight which was a stone (which I have since lost!! :) ) They shouldn't have told you, you need to get to 11 stone! Maybe they meant that would be your ideal weight?! Anyway keep going with it cos it does work! And you don't have to always stick to it! the occasional choccie bar don't hurt!! :razz:
    Originally posted by cheekychick
    Perhaps you could set yourself goals in between where you treat yourself to something you really want. It might not seem such a huge step.

Exactly. Attainable goals. You should set your own goals, say a stone in 4 months, that's under a pound a week. Tell your WW rep you think it's too much weight to look at losing in one go. Believe me. If you set your target for losing 14lbs in four months, when you achieve it, it'll boost you self asteem so much the rest will be a doddle. Good luck anyway :)
    People have different builds. If you are athletic and heavily built, then I doubt you will need to go down to 11 stone.

I am 5 foot 4, weighing nearly 12 stone. Even if I could lose it down to 11, I will still be largely built.
    Hey!

I started going to weight watchers cos I was feeling really fed up with myself, especially after splitting up with my b/f of 3 years! I'm quite short and I felt that I was getting a lil too pudgy for my height. I've been going since mid-september and I have lost over half a stone which has made all the difference.

Keep going cos it is worth it, and in fact, I am eating more now than I did before! And I haven't had to give up the foods I like, just eat them in moderation!

Good luck :)
    I'm one of the few male members of weight-watchers, joing after a thyroid problem which made me balloon 3 stone in a few months.

Anyway, I've been going for seven weeks now and I've lost 15.5lbs!!!

What Rubberskin said about interim targets is important. I get the feeling that alot of the people who go aren't really committed and you need to have ambition if you are going to get anywhere. The menus they give you are useful, but most people don't stick to them. However, the second book you get gives "points values" for most foods and it's easy to use them to build your own menus.

It's worth using the low point filler foods, such as fizzy jelly, to keep the hunger away without it having a negative effect on your diet.

If you want any help PM me...
    I recently went on one of those machines that tell you how tall you are & how much you weight & should weigh. For my height of 5'6" I should be between 8st12 and 11st0.

3 and a half stone is a lot to lose but I'm guessing they've set you this target as its a healthy weight for your height. As you're so active that'll help you shed the weight a lot faster than other people who go to your group & don't exercise. Good luck.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    It's worth using the low point filler foods, such as fizzy jelly, to keep the hunger away without it having a negative effect on your diet.

I think that a pint of jelly is 80 calouries? That would equate around 1 weight watcher's point.
    i think sugar free jelly has a lot less calories than that.
    i find the weekends really hard, but the weekend past wasnt too bad. i was working all weekend so i couldnt really snack at home, and i refused to take any money to work with me so i couldnt snack from the vending machines. but today i had a weak moment. i had about 6 ginger nut biscuits for no reason and actually seriously considered throwing them up again. but of course reality hit and i was like what am i thinking?? it got me down all day and then i was at work totally bored and i was so tempted to eat but of course i hadnt brought money with me. so i just had my dinner that i had prepared at home earlier from the diet guide. one minute i feel totally motivated and positive and the next i feel totally crap like im gonna be fat forever. its so hard. :(
    Don't worry the first week is always hard! the diet books is really strict but as the weeks go on you get more points and a bigger range of things to eat! :) Try going to the supermarket and buying things from the weight watchers range, there are cookies that are like 2 points and mini muffins that are 0.5 points and they taste good! Also if you like marshmallow look out for these pink wafer things they sell them at tesco/asda and they are yummy :yum: and work out at about 1 point! So don't worry your not gonna be fat forever, you will lose weight I am really suprised I have, its hard but once you get used to it, its easy! Good luck! :D
    Get yourself a huge supply of various munchies that are allowed, no fat, low calorie. I dont know what weight watchers allow for snacking but whatever it is get as much variety as possible, to stop you getting bored. Then when you crave a munchie because youre bored you can have one of your 'allowed' ones. The low sugar jelly sounds good as its a sweet as well.
    If you try and deprive yourself of snacks you will only want them more, then when you give in its going to be something naughty..like the ginger nuts :D you wouldnt have felt so guilty if youd have pigged out on food that has a low point score.
    Dont give up, You CAN do it, but dieting shouldnt be torture, if you starve yourself you wont feel motivated, just hungry.
    Originally posted by Monserrat

I think that a pint of jelly is 80 calouries? That would equate around 1 weight watcher's point.

Nah, sugar free is free (no points), as is Diet Lemonade.

You make half a pint with hot water as normal, but the rest you make up with Diet Lemonade instead of cold water. When it sets it retains the "fizz".

It's completely ruined normal jelly for me now though
    Cheers for the jelly recipe Man of Kent. The lemonade would go well with orange-flavoured jelly, which I normally use anyway.

The worst kind of snacking is the hob nob biscuit. Each one is 70-80 calouries, and with a cup of tea, you will ALWAYS follow up with 3 or 4 hob nobs. The amount of calouries will be comparible to a sandwich.

'Go Ahead' and other low fat varients are tasty, but expensive options, or vice verea (same price, but doesn't taste as good).

The fizzed jelly is a good one, as a jelly pack is only around 45p, and with one-eigths of a lemonade bottle, add 10p.
    hey peoples,
    thanks to everyone who replied with encouraging comments :)
    it helps !

well to update, its a week since i joined and i went to get weighed today and i have lost 6pounds!!! i am so proud of me!!
    but i know that i shouldnt get complacent now and i also know that i may stay the same next week...but im so happy for now! and if i havent lost anything next week then i will deal with that when it comes!
    Good on ya, well done :)

My friend has been eating sensibly ( I didnt say dieting because she doesen't call it dieting) for about 9 months now.

To be honest she is approx 5 ft 3 and was wearing size 18 to 20 clothes. shes never told me her weight, i think because she was embarrased. Anyway I didnt really notice a difference straight away, but as the months have gone by you could see her face had thinned out, and the tops of her legs. It seemed after a few months the weight was just dropping from everywhere. One day I was walking in town behind her but I didnt realise it was her because from the back she was half the size, and she had a new skirt and jacket on and looked unbeleivebly thinner than she was. Shes down to what she feels right with, she looks unbeleivebly well, shes had a new hair do and honestly shes a new woman.
    Now everyone comments to her how well she looks and that has given her loads more confidence. Oh I almost forgot, she is now size 12 to 14.

Just wanted to share that with you, just to let you know that it can be done, good luck :)
    isnt it horrid when u feel ur weight creeping up?! I had my tongue pierced about a month ago and never ate for a week, i lost a stone in weight but as soon as i started eating again i put it all back on!!! To be honest i didnt look thinner so mayeb it was a fake weight loss.

I feel pretty low at the mo my boyfriend says im not fat but helps me out if i want to lose weight(hes bought me slimming pills that ive asked for-even tho they were crap- and hes bought me one of them toner machines which i use as an excuse if i put weight on ;)(muscle!)

He tells me the ebst thing i can do is running, but i dont want people seeing me running!!! So he suggested the stairs which sounds good, you run up and down them for as long as you can and because ur going upwards its more of a workout! Im gonna start cycling again and using my toner machine, also my sis has got a 'air walker' for christmas(where ur feet go in opposite directions, back and forth) so ill use that when shes got it set up!

Ive decided for me id be better exercising than dieting as my mam buys low fat foods for me all the time but they never seem to work, exercising will.
    Slimming pills *may* work, but like with a lot of medications, you deveop a dependancy for it.

What does a slimming pill do? It increases your metabolism. This is the rate in which your energy gets burned up. Calories is energy. For every 3500 calories you take in excess, you gain one pound. So the slimming pill will speed up the rate in which your weight gets converted back into energy and then is used for everyday applications like walking and carrying.

Now if you did a daily exercise like cycling for 40 minutes, you will not only lose the calories directly on the bike, but you will also lose calories indirectly from the increase in your metabolism rate. If you stick to a daily ritual on the bike, or at least every weekday, you will achieve a permanent increased rate.

This is what the slimming is equivelent too, but I think that the exercise is a healthier and much cheeper method.
    My mum and sister are both with weightwatchers and have done great..Its a good system if you stick to it..

If you can afford to join a gym then do so...toning machines and pills are all well and good but nothing can beat cardio vascular exercise..
    well i lost 2 pounds this week! not as good as 6 last week, but at least its something!
    baldog, as i said, i work in a leisure centre so i get the gym free, ive been going quite often. cheers everyone for all your replies!
    Good on ya Scarlett.
    You lost something thats the main thing :)
    6 lb in one week?

That is 6 x 3500 = 21000, which equates to losing 3000 calories a day. In order to lose that much, you would either

a) Not eat
    b) Burn 3000 calories on top of what you eat i.e. 5000 calories a day

I'm impressed. Losing 1 lb in a week will be the norm. To maintain this, you will have to burn 500 calories more than what you eat per day. i.e. eat 2000, burn 2500.
    i lost 6 pounds in one week, but the first week is like a total detox, really really strict and i exercised everyday. in week 2 i lost 2 pounds because i wasnt as strict and allowed myself some treats but still kept within my points. i dont know all that technical stuff about the rate of burning calories and stuff, so at the end of the day im just gonna keep within my points and excercise and hope it comes off!
    It's great to hear of people losing weight. 6lbs in a week seems to be the normal for the first week of a diet. I'm on the slimming world diet (couldn't do weight watchers I starved). I've been on it since April and have lost 4stone and have still got a couple more to lose. It's a greta feeling especially when people start commentating on it. I lost 7lbs the other week and wasn't hungry, I just stuck to it really well as I needed a boost after putting 2lbs on the week before.
    I am 5" 1 and used to weigh 13 stone 3lb - I tried WW but found it really demoralising having some skinny bird askig me why I had put on wight and why I had a "bad" week. So I left and started dieting myself - first thing to do os come off the pill - its makes you eat like a horse!!!! It has taken me 6 months but I am now 9 1/2 stone and I know it sounds like a cliche but as soon as I started to loose weight and people began to notice itmade me determined to stick at it. :p