Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    aaah I see what your PM was about now! ;)

If I'd have realised how hard the design industry was to get into I might have re-thought my degree choices!

As for freelance I've earnt about £400 since leaving uni, it's picking up and I'm getting some good work together I just wanna work for a proper comapny!!

Anyway, Pm me back and we can have a chat!
  • Options
    Deary-me, I got the rejection phone call this morning. I've pretty much ran out of ideas, and it will have to be temping.

I think Adecco and Pertemps are supposed to be well known for temping - When I first moved to Stafford, I went to both of those agancies (just by random) but I haven't heard back from either of them.
  • Options
    Good luck with temping. Don't mean to put you off, but you'll need luck. I've been trying to get temp work since the start of September. I've registered with 5 agencies and sent my CV to and phoned another 20 (at least). In the last 3 months, I think I've worked a total of about 15 days - which has mainly been an odd day here and there. It really really sucks. I keep ringing up agencies and asking them why there is no work, and why I can't be given anything more long term than just one day, and they say "Oh, it's just a bit quiet this week, it'll pick up next week, there's lots of things in the pipeline". And there never is.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lillost
    Good luck with temping. Don't mean to put you off, but you'll need luck. I've been trying to get temp work since the start of September. I've registered with 5 agencies and sent my CV to and phoned another 20 (at least). In the last 3 months, I think I've worked a total of about 15 days - which has mainly been an odd day here and there. It really really sucks. I keep ringing up agencies and asking them why there is no work, and why I can't be given anything more long term than just one day, and they say "Oh, it's just a bit quiet this week, it'll pick up next week, there's lots of things in the pipeline". And there never is.

I've never had any problems temping. I think I've been out of work as many days as you have in the last year. :rolleyes: It just depends where you are I suppose. I have about 3 agencies who actually used to compete to get me work....I used to turn 2 or 3 jobs down each time I was looking to find something I wanted.

It depends, if you make a good impression at your interview and get on well with the main consultant that you speak to they usually think of you first when a job comes in. keep your name floting round the office and things will come in. But yes, until you get known at an agency things are a bit slow.

Adecco and Spring are probably your two best national agencies, although i find that the smaller ones who just have offices in your town get some decent jobs in and are friendlier.

Good luck to you all :)
  • Options
    EEEEEEEEEK! :eek: I got a phone call this morning asking me to go for an interview tomorrow morning! Wasn't expecting it at all and am running round like a lunatic to get my portfolio sorted!!

I shall come and let you know when it's all gone horribly wrong tomorrow!! I'm terrified! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    EEEEEEEEEK! :eek: I got a phone call this morning asking me to go for an interview tomorrow morning! Wasn't expecting it at all and am running round like a lunatic to get my portfolio sorted!!

I shall come and let you know when it's all gone horribly wrong tomorrow!! I'm terrified! :crazyeyes

Congrats and good luck. Hope you get it.

Just realx and it'll go fine. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith

SNAP! - Today was a lucky day for me too.

I had three items in todays post: One was a rejection letter, and the other two were interviews.

The first one is next Wednesday which involves 12-hour shift work, but I only have to work Mon-Thurs. The salary is £15k, but the commuting involves 1-mile walk, a 35 minutes train ride and then another 1-mile work (I'm visually impaired so I can't drive).

The second interview is the Wednesday after next, for an admin/IT role. £13k, and its only 15 minutes walk from where I live. 37 hour week.

Best of luck tomorrow. Faith with Faith!
  • Options
    They said they'd let me know, typical! hehe Went okay...not great, but then it was my first ever interview! They said they liked my work, but they have a few more people to interview yet. So we shall see.

Good luck with your interviews Monserrat, well done!
  • Options
    Nothing bugs me more than 'uncertainty'. I've been to three interviews since I left uni and I always ask the panel how many candidates they are interviewing. More importantly on when I can know the outcome. Most people will let you know one week after the interview.

Two years ago, I was applying for the placement year. The first interview was with the Prudential insurance compnay. Five weeks later, I still didn't know the outcome. I never knew in the end, so it was very rude.

The second and third interivews were with the Mininistry of Defence. I was second time lucky and both interviews told me within a week.
  • Options
    eeek, hopefully i wont be waiting 5 weeks! :eek:
  • Options
    good luck faith :)
  • Options
    Another failed interview today. Again like the last one, I was too over qualified. The employer was concerned that I only wanted the job post as a 'stepping stone' while hunting for a better job. Well, the wage was £15k so I wouldn't have complained about that.

The next interview is Tues Dec 3rd.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    The next interview is Tues Dec 3rd.

Good luck for that one then!

I still haven't heard anything yet, my boyf had an interview at a diff place on Monday and they said they'd let him know after Xmas!! :eek: I've been offered an interview in February when a company down here expands but I was hoping to be employed by then!!
  • Options
    faith, just out of interest why don't you set your own design agency up??? Yes it's a risk, and there are less and less companies actually employing agencies as it's all being done in house. But you do only really need one big client and you'll be fine.

These days it isn't that difficult to start your own business. just need a business plan and take it to your bank manager, as long as it's properly researched then you'll get the initial loan. you can even work from home so you don't need to rent offices etc. Did I read somewhere that your b/f was into design as well? If so you could both move to be together and set up together.

Gaining a database isn't difficult and needent cost you anything to be honest. Just when you're driving round look for lorries and take their details, the nets a great place for ideas along with hunting through the yellow pages for busineses in sectors which perhaps go with the work in your existing portfolio. Or even just members of your family.

It's just an idea, solves your long distance rel probs as well ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo
    faith, just out of interest why don't you set your own design agency up???

We have considered this! The prob is that there's so much we don't know yet. If we join another company as a junior designer we get to learn things from the other people there. Also it's getting the clients, getting big projects is hard when you have no experience to show off, not many companies want to give people with no previous experience a load of money to do work for them.

I think that if we're still in the same position in say 5 or 6 months time this might definately be an option. There's only so long you can job hunt for isn't there?! hehe

Thanx for all your advice hun :)
  • Options
    Aye you can't look forever.

But there is no better way than to gain experience with trying. Either of you got web design skills cos thats one of the main sources of business we get now.

Just another thing I thought of was is perhaps you could try and get into the sales side of an agency and then as opportunities arise show your potential so they take you onto the design side. Just a thought.

I'm sure summat will come up though. Good luck to the both of you in the rest of your searches.
  • Options
    My final iron in the fire went today - I was beaten, not through lack of experience but because I was superceeded by someone else in that field. There were only three candidates.

I live off the dole which is £45 a week. The job centre adds an extra £20 for disabilities. My rent is £41, so I can only feed myself. Mobile top-up, stamps and printer ink have blown right through my savings. All job hunt-related materials.

I can't even find menial jobs locally. Neither Asda, Sainsburys or Tesco are recruiting at present. Any warehouse roles I've applied for have either been ignored or rejected.

On Thursday, I got an interview for voluntary work. This may effect my JSA benefit. I've only 11 weeks left on the dole before it gets shut off. Also, doing voluntary work may effect benefits as well.

I'm getting depressed about this, and I can't help to think that I will not enjoy Christmas because I've got no work or money. I might have to give up and go back to my parents. My parents though lives so remote, that it will be even harder to find work.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that mate, but you can't give up or you'll be unemployed for the rest of your life!

I habded my notice in yesterday so I quit my bar job next Weds. Couldn't handle anymore of that - working loads of overtime and still not been paid for it, being left to run the bar and restaurant on my own cos the managers couldn't be arsed to come in, getting shouted at by wingeing customers! So I'm looking for something else now, probably temping til I find this ideal job that I'm searching for!!
  • Options
    Aww sorry to hear this. Did you actually get paid in the end?

I was just wondering how exactly do people find temping jobs?

I've done everything I know. Two weeks ago, I plotted out the locations of five temping agencies on a map.

I put on my smart suit and spent a day in town going to all of them. I had printed copies of my CV handy. Each agency asked me to fill a form which is normal. Also, the name of the game is to keep a high profile with the agencies by calling or phone twice a week (which I do).

You hear about these people who get jobs within two days of signing up to the agency. How does it actually happen?
  • Options
    Aww sorry to hear this. Did you actually get paid in the end?

Well I officially leave next Weds and have been told I'll have got a cheque by then so I hope I will! They owe me almost £300!

As for temping you just have to go to all the agencies and sign up. Getting a job all depends on your skills I guess - as with any other job.
  • Options
    hmmm...well about 2months after my first & only interview I still haven't heard anything back! :mad: I quit my bar job just before Christmas as I couldn't stand it any longer, and tomorrow I'm going to have to go to the agencies and become a temp :(
  • Options
    Its not good at the moment is it Faith?

I've enrolled with 7 temping agencies and they have nothing going. I even ring some of them every week just to keep a high profile with them.

I went to the jobcentre last week and applied for this scheme called "Work Prep". What I had to do was think of four companies that I would like to work for. Then my advisor sends this form off and it gets signed by a number of people in the jobcentre management. If all goes well, I will be able to undergo unpaid placements of 8-10 weeks with these companies. I don't think it garantees employment but it will be a CV-filler.

If if leads to a job, then very well but my timescale is pretty tight now. I moved to Stafford in September because of the contract I had with BT in Walsall. They made me redundant in the first week, after I signed a 1-year contract with my landlord. So at the moment, I'm in Stafford until the end of June. If I can sort out of a job within 30 miles radius of Stafford that I'll stick around. If I'm still on jobseekers in June then I'll have to go back home.
  • Options
    That 'work prep' thing sounds good, my main problem is that i don't have any experience and am finding it hard work getting some. I may try that out. As for the temping it is something that I really do not want to do - I went to Uni so that I didn't have to spend my working life sat in a bloody office! But I am desperate for money and getting nowhere with my 'proper' jobs so it looks as though temping is the only option for a while.

However my boyf should hear by then beginning of next week about a job he went for. If he gets it I shall be relocating as soon as I can afford to move out, and there seems to be a lot more jobs advertised up his way.
  • Options

You hear about these people who get jobs within two days of signing up to the agency. How does it actually happen?

Sorry I'm one of them...

I dunno why, but what I know is that all the consultants always remember me from my interviews, whether it's 2 days later or 2 years later. i can still walk round town and get them saying hiya Karen what are you up to these days.

I've never had any trouble finding temping jobs for that reason. It actually got to the stage where I could play 2 agencies off each other for the best wage because they wanted me working for them that much. Found the perm job I'm in through an agency as well.

Just keep doing what your doing and I'm sure something wil come up.

Oh and Faith, you might not want to but you can get decent money from temping which just keeps you going, and at least you can take time off whenever for interviews and no one cares. It's a good "put-me-on" until you find what you realy want to do.