Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

university choice dilemma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
ive had 4 offers to university and my heart has alwasy been set on going to keele. however when i visited there i was put off my the accomodation. today i visited hull, it was great, the accomodation, the social side it was clean etc but the course isnt my first preference so im stuck now!

any suggestions?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Knowing nothing about either university, and assuming that your principal objection is accommodation, I would ask what the offer of accommodation is. For example, if Keele offers you 3 years of student accommodation, and you don't really like it, it might not be worth it. But if, however, you move out in to a private house or whatever in your second year, it's worth the better course for a year's second rate accommodation, maybe?
    I would personally go for course and the general atmosphere of the place over accomadation, like DJP says you won't be there long and then you'll end up in a scabby dive wherever you are anyway:D ..............
    My sister went to Keele university, she studied Maths/Music. She loved it, and I liked the place went I went to visit her on the graduation day thing.
    The accomodation didn't bother me much, and it's pretty cheap so no complaints really. The campus is quite nice in general though.
    Keele is my number 1 choice (I think :-\) and it's probably where I'll end up going.
    thanks for the advice but im still stuck in a rut.

ok so hull - split campus - accomodation then the actual uni is about 10 minutes away. meal in with acomo price for 1st year.
    socailly - loads to do and it has officer training corps (i want to go in the army after uni) - people seemed really friendly and it was cheaper (acomo) - gorgeous buildings etc and the psych course is approved by the bps.

keele - nice surroundings - one campus - recognised for dual honours - higher grades needed than hull - chance to study abroad.

hull still seems to be winning but i cant decide. if i go to hull i might not like it and wish id stuck with keele but it could work vice versa.
    Price is also an important factor, how good are you at managing money?

My mate goes to Uni in Hull and food, drink, going out etc are very cheap apparently but I dobn't know about Keele.......
    Well this might not help but...

When I choose my university I followed my heart (London baby) not my head! I probably can't afford it and will leave with heaps more debt but hey.

I choose a city I love and a course that looks perfect for me.

But I'm not there yet as I applied defered and am doing a GAP year. So could still live to regret that one. But hopefully I won't.
    I was torn between two schools also.

But they both had the same academic/athletic type programs and gave me lots of money, so the only thing I could use to differentiate between the two was which one was 'prettier'. Maybe not the best distinction, but I don't regret it. :)

And it's 3,000 miles from the mum :D whereas the other one was a half-hour drive. Yuck. :p
    Well look on thr bright side, its a nice problem to have.

Better than having to choose between two Uni's that you really didnt like and its certainly better than having no offers at all.