Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Phone Phobias?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, this isnt exactly a health problem but where else could such a topic go?

Putting it anywhere else would only result in a people having a go from their high horses, but anyway.....

I have a real phobia of using the phone. Thank god for text messages! If someone rings me, it isnt so bad, but i hate ringing people, especially if i dont know them. I have no problem ringing people who are close to me, but if i have to ring someone i dont know i become a nervous wreck! Despite the fact that in public im a confident person who can speak to anyone and ask them anything.

Just wondered if anyone else has or had tyhe same problem and how can i overcome it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I really hate having to phone people I dont know, like the bank or something.

I just try and think to myself that they dont know me, they cant see me and they might even live in another country the way phone services are going!!

Even if you the conversation goes completely arse up, they think nothing to it.

Try and take a deep breath and if you need to write any questions down you want to ask before you call.
    Originally posted by Snowfairy

Try and take a deep breath and if you need to write any questions down you want to ask before you call.

That's what i do if i have to phone someone i don't know. I hate doing it, I have no idea why but I don't like it and only do it if I absolutely have to!! Writing down bits of what you want to say does help cos then you don't stumble over what you wanted to ask/tell them.
    I don't have the phobia of conversing over the phone, but I freak out badly when it rings. It depends on the circumstances and environment. I don't like the sound of the modern ring tone. However, I don't mind the old fashioned phones that had real bells inside them.

Does anyone remember a pop group called "Baby D"? If anyone has the album, check out track number 08. I can't listen to that at nighttime. If played in a particular environment, I would probably KO.
    I have a problem with the phone too, both ways!
    I can leave a message on an answer phone ok strangely enough, but it even takes me days to get the courage up to phone my family or the Drs when Im ill:(
    Writing it all down before you ring helps, and going through it in your head what you want to say, then take notes while on the phone to try and take the edge off the anxiety.
    Just what everyone else has said really.
    Youre not on your own!:)
    As lots of other people have suggested I'd say write it down. At first when making "important" phone calls I use to write the whole thing down including the "Hello, I'm .. and I'm calling to speak to...". I use the phone lots and have to phone strangers at work all the time so am now pretty confident with this one. But I still write down the important bits like who to ask for etc just incase my mind goes completely blank.
    I hate phoning people I don't know as well but since working as a receptionist I have obviously had to do it all the time & so have got used to it. Writing down important things (ie the persons name u need to speak to! etc) helps a lot & doesn't make u feel as much of a mumbling prat (well thats how I always feel anyway). It's weird, I can talk to strangers & people I don't know fine in person, it's just over the phone I get all shy & anxious about it.
    Also lennon, perhaps you could try "practising" with some less important ones such as booking cinema tickets, ordering a pizza etc before you have important ones that are scary for everyone such as phoning a prospective employer to arrange a job interview. Just an idea...
    When I was younger, I had a phone phobia too (maybe 8-16yrs old)

Now I have a phone addiction :D

Actually, I do get scared sometimes when my phone rings at night when I'm asleep. Takes me a while to realize what that frightening shit is. Seriously, I get scared because I can't figure out what's making the damned incessant noise. Once I realize what it is, I turn the ringer off and go back to sleep (assuming it's not my dad - he thinks I'm dead in a gutter somewhere if I don't answer when he calls)
    yeah, i used to have a phone phobia, really bad. i just wouldn't ring anyone. and if the phone rang and i was the only one in, i wouldn't answer it.

i got over it by forcing myself to do it. a lot. i worked in a call centre for a summer. at first i was a nervous wreck all day every day, but after a few weeks i got used to it.

now i'll ring anyone about anything. it doesn't bother me at all.
    Ah well at least im not alone.

I actually couldnt work in a call centre, as i wouldnt have the guts to do it. I certainly couldnt be a receptionist as i dont think id suit a short skirt and blouse! :p

If i really had to ring someone as it was really important i coul;d bring myself to do it, but if there was a way around it, id get out of it. I.E if i need to make an appointment, say at the doctors, ill go in and make it personally instead of ringing!

Ill have to try the bullet points next time im on the phone. But ill end up writing a script and the person on the other end of the phone will probably realise im reading it off a sheet!

Reciever: "So what can i help you with?"
    Me: "Hi, i wondered if you could help me?"

etc

id probably end up tryign not to "fluff my lines" rather than finding out the information i was ringing for!:)
    Re: Phone Phobias?
    Originally posted by lennon
    Ok, this isnt exactly a health problem but where else could such a topic go?

Putting it anywhere else would only result in a people having a go from their high horses, but anyway.....

I have a real phobia of using the phone. Thank god for text messages! If someone rings me, it isnt so bad, but i hate ringing people, especially if i dont know them. I have no problem ringing people who are close to me, but if i have to ring someone i dont know i become a nervous wreck! Despite the fact that in public im a confident person who can speak to anyone and ask them anything.

Just wondered if anyone else has or had tyhe same problem and how can i overcome it?

This IS a health problem so don't worry. You have yourself identified it as a phobia which is a slight irrational psychological disorder but I'm sure one that can be treated if you seek proper medical advice. Just remember, other people suffer from the same condition so don't feel like you're alone and a freak - cos you aren't. :)
    I know how you feel.....

I HAD to ring up some people about something I got for my internet connection, I only did it because I had no other option and I was desperate to get it working.

I HATE speaking to people I dont know, but now im beginning to realise that they dont really care... you dont know them, they dont know you. They're not gunna kill you over the phone are they ;)
    I use to be exactly like you. I was fine talking to friends and things, but phoning people I din't know I just couldn't do.

I'd sit at work and dread phoning people. It would take me 5 mins to pluck up the courage and then I'd be shaking.

But gradually as I've got used to it and had to do it over and over...(working in telesales at the moment :rolleyes:) it doesn't bother me at all. I'm quite happy to pick up the phone without the faintest idea what i'm going to say. half the time I'm posting on here as well and I just talk when thye answer the phone. So what if I stumble over a few words or have to hesitate. Just shows I'm not working from a script. :)

I think it's just a worry that the other person will think badly of you etc, but basically the likely hood is your never going to meet them, you'll sound better if your not a quivering wreck and no one does judge you from a phone call.

I think it was when I was working on reception though that i got over it properly. Constantly answering the phone as a temp in a place that you've only just got to and don't know who any one is, makes you ahve to be strong and face it.