Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Placements?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey,
I'm enrolled at a college for an NVQ level 2 as an I.T Technician (yeah yeah, i dont think it's wonderful either ;)) and I need a placement for the work training side of things.
The problem is that the college had an influx of new people before i came along so they cant find me a place...gotta find it for myself.
So far I've applied for telewest, yahoo and BBC and haven't got anything.
Does anyone know of anywhere I can find placements? i've looked for literally weeks and haven't found anything...all the career hunter etc sites are for people with the qualifications and they aren't prepared to take on any n00bs.

cheers

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Placements?
    Originally posted by Braidsta
    ...all the career hunter etc sites are for people with the qualifications and they aren't prepared to take on any n00bs.

cheers

The answer to your question mate... lies in the Yellow Pages.

I remember similar things going down when i got my first qualification, its pointless even trying the agencies due to their high (sometimes unreasonably high) expectations where qualifications and experience go....

what i did back in the day was whip out the yellow pages, check under the appropriate section (particular kinds of companies that you would want to work for) and youll be greeted with hundreds of telephone numbers of companies, and sometimes if youre lucky email addresses aswell....

Take a long list of these, write a convincing covering letter and make your cv pretty, then go about telephoning and emailing... Chances are fairly high you will get at least one offer out of all the companies...

Take into account that the IT job market isnt the liveliest its ever been in london/england and there are much fewer jobs available... try websites like CWjobs and JobServe as companies often place ads direct (ie no agents involved, how i got my job here...)

You may not get your dream job first off but chances are you will find something bearable, and once in employment it is much easier to find other jobs, paying more, better conditions etc, but remember that even if you have 1 year of commercial experience you will multiply your chances of moving ahead....
    cheers bruv *thumbs up*

and all this time i've been using the yellow pages as a stool when i want to reach the phone...
    :confused:
    looks like the yellow pages is gettin me back for standin on it.

cant find fuck all lol.
    im workin on it, im workin on it:rolleyes:
    The Yellow Pages are online as well.

Yell.com

I've sent off 45 unsolicited letters. I've had about 5 responses saying that there isn't work available. Then I managed to get one interview through this system, but found out recently that I didn't get the job. Even though I had my foot in the door well before the interview took place, they had the cheek to advertise the post and managed to interview three other people. I was beaten to it at that point.
    yeah mate I've been gettin the same kinda treatment:rolleyes:.

I think I'm gonna phone those college people up and get them to put me in for the admin NVQ instead...ok so its still the same level of shitness but I'm bettin theres a lot more places who have admins than there is fuckin IT techs.

fuckin life:banghead: