Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Downloading movies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Could anyone help? I know how to download music, I have used Kazaa and morpheus a lot. What do I need to be able download movies fom Kazaa? I have a CD rewriter, do i need to buy a DVD rewriter and DVD discs?

Comments

• Options
    I can't help sorry!

But I do know that downloading movies isn't worth it! It takes HOURS if not DAYS! Its a waste of time and space on a computer!

Just go to the cinema! Its quicker, better picture and alot less frustrating! :)
  • Options
    Yes I know that its takes that long, but with broadband its different. If I have got the equipment to download movies I am going to get broadband.

Thanks tho Madinthenut:D
  • Options
    All you need is:

1) a bid hard drive (a cdr is also cool)

2)divx software (http://www.divx.com/divx/) get the first one in the list (it's free and without adware). This is THE format that movies and tv shows are distributed in, I could cover the technical details, but i don't think anyone cares.

3) P2P software of your choice (be it kazaa, direct connect, what ever)

4) Broadband (if you want a movie every 3 hours, otherwise we're looking at almost 2 days with dial-up)

5) optional parrot and peg leg (for authentic pirate look)

Then simply search for the file, just like you did with the music

But if your gonna get broadband just to do the above, you might want to spend your £35 a month on 8 dvd rentals or just buy 2 dvds a month
  • Options
    i use kazaa do download movies. i'm on a dial up connection too, so i definately know how slow it is and i'm gonna get broadband soon. as part of the original question, buying DVD-RW CD's is a must choice 'cos you can get up to four films on one CD.

oh by the way, to whichever film title your looking for, type in DVD Rip after it and you'll get better quality movies. these are usually around 720 - 780Mb's though.
  • Options
    Use Direct Connect instead of KaZaA, it's infinately better for downloading anything other than music.
  • Options
    Thanks for the good advice, very much appreciated. I was worried that I would have to buy a DVD rewriter - incidently what is a dvd rewiter for then?

I can see your point Pendari champion, but my resoning is that I pay £15.99 already so it is only an extra £10 - £12

Thanks again all :)
  • Options
    oops sorry bout crap spelling, I've had a teensy weensy bit of tia maria:D
  • Options
    DVD Rewriter can write data onto a DVD-RW disc, but it can clear it and rewrite it, whereas a DVD Writer can only write it once.

didn't even know you could get DVD-RW.

You probably can't use rewritable DVD in another player, because it writes the data differently to normal 'burning'.
  • Options
    difference with a DVD rewriter is that it's faster than a normal CD drive.... and yes you can get DVD-RW CD's, they just cost a heck of a lot more. where i am CD-R's are about £3.99 for ten pack. ten pack of DVD'R's is about £30-40 quid but can hold 4.5Gb's instead of 750 Mb's.
  • Options
    The quality of downloaded movies is truly awful.
    The sound is out of synch with the action and the picture is grainy and shite unless you keep the size of the window small.

It's much easier to simply buy a DVD, with amazing quality and use the hours you would spend on the pc downloading playing games or something which are much better with broadband.
  • Options
    Oh, ps
    NTL are now offering 1Mb broadband for £34.99 a month.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    The quality of downloaded movies is truly awful.
    The sound is out of synch with the action and the picture is grainy and shite unless you keep the size of the window small.

Unless you get a DivX rip...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

Unless you get a DivX rip...

Exactly :)

DivX rips can be pretty good quality, especially if you dl it from someone who has the dvd.
  • Options
    I've downloaded about the first 7 episodes of the second "Enterprise" season. They won't be in a cinema, maybe on TV here in January. Most are divx or mpg. The mpg are handy for burning straight to CD-R as a standard VCD most DVD players can handle.
    The Divx are either much better quality or smaller, but there's some pokery-jiggery involved making them playback on a DVD player and rarely worth the bother.
    I usually playback on the computer anyway, as I have TV-out on the video card and it's hooked up to the tv permanently. A 19" monitor is also good enough for most things.
    I only download movies when it's something that's months ahead of the UK cinema release. If it's not on Kazaa or WinMX I buy from a reliable Taiwanese supplier on single-layer DVD. I buy the proper one on American or Australian import later, a UK shop if I'm desperate!
  • Options
    i d/l a lot of music videos on my pc and they take about 4 hours each on 56k. they take up 1/3 of my puny hard-drive :s

*cough*3gigabyte HD.... how lovely*cough*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Black Hole Sun
    i d/l a lot of music videos on my pc and they take about 4 hours each on 56k. they take up 1/3 of my puny hard-drive :s

*cough*3gigabyte HD.... how lovely*cough*

3??? 3? Blimey.
  • Options
    In a somehow vaguely related question; if I want to import DVDs from the States; do I have to have a coder for them to play? I only play them on my PC, if that helps any?

I would love to download movies, since I have a 10MBps connection, but it's firewalled and strictly controlled by my Uni. :(
  • Options
    you forgot the cost of the installation and network card. £70 to £100

DJP, if you import a DVD, it will be region coded, which means that unless yo have a multi region DVD player, or in your case your DVD software allows you to switch regions you will have problems. (a little registry "tweaking" may be required)

Oh and the guy with the firewall issues, I'm very new to firewalls, so if i'm wrong would someone tell me:) but can you not use direct connect and use a commonly used port for the transfer eg ftp, or mail port?
  • Options
    I recently downloaded 'The Matrix' from Kazaa, took about 4 to 5 hours on broadband..and the file was nearing one gig so I was well impressed.

It was Div-X ripped and encoded so the film ran smoothly and was comparable to DVD quality.

Don't attempt to download with 56/k please save yourself the hassle of waiting days for the file to complete...Get Broadband!