Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Journalism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm hoping to go into journalism...

..I was wondering if anyone here had any exoperience/advice?

Especially on how to get started. I'm on a Gap year at the moment...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Carlito,

Many journos do degrees or diplomas, but I've heard that about half of the people working in journalism at the moment don't have these qualifications. For certain jobs (news desk etc) it's important to have the qualification, for others (feature writing etc) it's not.

I'm not sure how old you are, but you could write for your college magazine or get in touch with your local newspaper for some work experience.

And here's a link for training advice:
    http://www.nctj.com/

You could write a rant for us too (mail submissions@thesite.org for more info) which would help you to start getting a portfolio together.

good luck!

Karla
    Originally posted by Karla
    Hi Carlito,

Many journos do degrees or diplomas, but I've heard that about half of the people working in journalism at the moment don't have these qualifications. For certain jobs (news desk etc) it's important to have the qualification, for others (feature writing etc) it's not.

I'm not sure how old you are, but you could write for your college magazine or get in touch with your local newspaper for some work experience.

And here's a link for training advice:
    http://www.nctj.com/

You could write a rant for us too (mail submissions@thesite.org for more info) which would help you to start getting a portfolio together.

good luck!

Karla

Thanks Karla, I'm onto it :)
    Hey!

I'm hoping to go into journalism too, and I contacted the nctj and they sent me some info so it is well worth writing to them! :D