Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sampling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
OK i'm really not sure what i'm talking about because i'm completely clueless about hip-hop and all that, but how exactly do hip hop people (sorry, i dont know the proper term!:rolleyes: ) put a sample of a song into another song?

it's always made me wonder and would i be able to do it on a computer?
sorry if this makes no sense to anyone!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Try getting Sycn C. I know with this software you can create samples.
  • Options
    by funny coincidence i know shit all about computers as well! :eek2:

where could i get sync c and what exactly does it do?

ta
  • Options
    Samples...

OK, what can I say here... this really wants to depend on what your trying to do, the easiest way to sample a record is to break the track into its bars, for example, a dance music record works on the 4 bar principle, and every 32 bars either the music changes or a new sound is brought in, next time you hear a track like say DJ Sammie - Heaven Song on the radio or whatever, count the notes, every 32 beats the record changes... this is also the methodology behind DJing, ie. when a DJ will bring in and fade out a particular track....

So you want to sample a record, well if you know the bars then you can use a program such as Sonic Foundry Sound Forge to go into the architecture and cut exactly 4 bars out of the track and loop them as to check that you have sampled the sound correctly, it should flow seamelessly.

If your after sampling a vocal, you can either use a high-tech end hardware filter or see if the track has an accapella (ie. just the vocals without music) there are many around, many 12" record stores even sell records made entirely of acapellas, I know many which have been released such as Hip-Hop Eminem's 'Without Me' or 'My name is (slim shady)', you then place the accapella over the track and adjust the pitch on the acapella (if on a turntable) to run at the same pitch as that of the record, many 'white label' records have been released as 'bootlegs' using this principle... a good example (again club music) would be:

Kylie Minogue vs Rank1 'Airwave' - True Love Never Dies

Again, there are many ways to do things... it really depends on what and how your trying to do them! :)
  • Options
    right i talked to a guy in school and he gave me a basic run down of what's on a set of decks and then some prices but being so close to xmas... not happening for a while:rolleyes:
    then i asked him about some software and that seemed at better idea so i'm gonna check out some of the stuff you mentioned and hopefully it'll all be good!

thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    If I were you I would not just in at the deep-end and buy programes such as Cubase, Reson etc (which I boubt you are). 'Coz their quite a complicated bit of kit to use if your cluess about production.

You could buy somthing like an eJay package which you can use if ur novice or pro. I started out on that and it's ok to give you a basic programe with ready made loops and samples.

chuck us an e-mail if you need any help with anything.

jay02@talk21.com