Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ringing in Sick

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got a new job and started 2day..im working again on thursady for 5 hours,and i am going 2 party on friday nite but they asked me 2 work and i said that another boy wud cover for me but now he wont.Will i just ring in sick or just ask them can i get out early?its not likely that i could get out early and i really wanna go 2 the party.
If i rang in sick do u think they would take a negative attitude,etc?i wud only ring in sick this friday and never again unless its an emergency.
thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends if the party or job is more important.
    If you've already expressed an interest in not working on friday, then going 'sick' will be questioned by them.

Are you on a 3 month probationary period or anything like that?
    Hi Shogun, it's probably best to be honest. Your employers might be a bit pissed off if they find out you lied.

But just for a laugh, you can read this:
    http://www.thesite.org/magazine/work_and_home/failsafe_sickies.html
    Im with bad seed on this one, if you've already said you want the night off and then you phone in sick, Im pretty sure you'll be picking up your P45 the next time you go in
    Yep sorry mate. if you'v already said that you can't/won't work friday and you've got someone to cover no employer is going to be that niaive as to let you phone in sick without questioning it.

You'll either have to argue this out with your bosses and hope you can get the time off. Or work it and miss the party, which in all fairness is probably your best bet if you want to keep your job and you want some respect and appreciation off your employer.
    If the party is more important than your new job then ring in sick. But if you really want to keep your job then i would go to work. You can go to partys any time. It doesnt look very good if you ring in sick on your first week. I know my mate done it where i work but she done it twice in her first week once in the second and at the moment they are thinking of sacking her.
    Originally posted by littlemiss17
    If the party is more important than your new job then ring in sick. But if you really want to keep your job then i would go to work. You can go to partys any time. It doesnt look very good if you ring in sick on your first week. I know my mate done it where i work but she done it twice in her first week once in the second and at the moment they are thinking of sacking her.
    I think the decision will probably have been made by now... this thread is about a month old, the party will have been and gone!
    Thats my speciality :D
    Re: Ringing in Sick
    Originally posted by Shogun2002
    I got a new job and started 2day..im working again on thursady for 5 hours,and i am going 2 party on friday nite but they asked me 2 work and i said that another boy wud cover for me but now he wont.Will i just ring in sick or just ask them can i get out early?its not likely that i could get out early and i really wanna go 2 the party.
    If i rang in sick do u think they would take a negative attitude,etc?i wud only ring in sick this friday and never again unless its an emergency.
    thanks.

Ok so this is a month old now. What did you decide to do? Tell us!
    Yeah, what did you do?

Personally, if I had told them someone had agreed to cover and he pulled out I would explain to them that the reason I had got cover was because I couldn't do it. That way they would know that you still weren't up for doing it!!

However, a sure fire way for them to believe you are ill is to get your parents to phone for you! My boyfriend used to phone in for me a few years ago, pretending to be my dad! hehehe.

Now though, my bosses are really understanding if you can't get in as we're only casual workers and they can usually get someone to voer even up to an hour before we start.