Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Capatilism vs Communism

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Do you not think that in an ideal society the workers would own the means of production and all would be equal?

An ideal society would be one in which all citizens possessed the greatest possible amounts of social and economic freedom. Equality of opportunity and equal rights are the only worthy forms of 'equality' that people can possess or attain. :)
    Does the inequality currently present in the world not appall you? [/B]

There has ALWAYS been inequality in human societies. Were not feudal nations in Europe (during the Middle Ages) Was not the Roman Empire unequal? :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by blodcot

There has ALWAYS been inequality in human societies. Were not feudal nations in Europe (during the Middle Ages) Was not the Roman Empire unequal? :)

So?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Don't know anyone who has lived and worked under communism, do you?

I'm sure he doesn't, it has never existed...
    Originally posted by big ben

* hides in corner *

:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by xicoperez

:D

The excuse of those who support an unworkable system...
  • Options
    Originally posted by xicoperez

I'm sure that the Russians, Cubans and Chinese would disagree with you.

I certainly didn't hear this argument being put forward when the USSR was one of the "super"powers...
  • Options
    last year I spent a fortnight in Cuba, with a Spanish flatmate, and got to meet and talk to a lot of people.

whether you think Cuba is Communist is up to you, but it's perhaps the closest thing in the world right now.

The people have a lot of hardships, material due to the US' blockade, but also restraints on their actions and publicly held beliefs, as Castro has made sure that he stays in power.

but despite this, the Cubans are the happiest people as a nation that I've ever met in my travels, they accept the hardships, and get on with life. they work hard to make ends meet, but they party like no-one else.
    They have jobs and free education and healthcare. Everyone is pretty poor, but the limited wealth is distributed evenly among everyone.

there's certainly some degree of indoctrination - billboards by the roadside like 'We don't believe in ownership', ' Keep fighting for the Revolution' and of course 'Che lives!' - but the people mostly do have a love for Fidel.

I think that if, when Fidel pops his clogs, Cuba turns to a capitalist democracy, and basically a tourist island for the USA, and the state-guaranteed job, education and healthcare goes, the people as a whole will be less happy.

Just a thought. I'm not sure I'd want to live under communism and accept the lot given me by the state. But I've seen something like it in action, and it's not so bad.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I'd want to live under communism and accept the lot given me by the state. But I've seen something like it in action, and it's not so bad.

That explains why so many of them have chanced the boat trip to the United States regardless of the risks. Because it's "not so bad". :rolleyes:
  • Options
    So Ben, is that your Che poster on the office wall?
  • Options

That explains why so many of them have chanced the boat trip to the United States regardless of the risks. Because it's "not so bad". :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it's perfect, there is a lot of hardship due to the US' blockade, which has only hurt the people and kept Castro in power. a lot of people risk their lives every year for a conception of the USA as paradise where everyone is wealthy and happy.

but if this is a discussion of communism vs capitalism, then it's not fair to blame communism for the historical reasons behind the US' cruel blockade, condemned by everyone in the UN except those in the US' purse.

and yes, it's my Che poster :)
  • Options

I'm not saying it's perfect, there is a lot of hardship due to the US' blockade, which has only hurt the people and kept Castro in power. a lot of people risk their lives every year for a conception of the USA as paradise where everyone is wealthy and happy.

but if this is a discussion of communism vs capitalism, then it's not fair to blame communism for the historical reasons behind the US' cruel blockade, condemned by everyone in the UN except those in the US' purse.

Blockade? You mean there are US Navy ships and planes stopping anyone from approaching or leaving Cuba? So, how did you get in?

It's a boycott, not a blockade. And the US did not force Castro to change the crop mix of Cuba. Nor did we force him to send troops to Angola. Nor does a boycott stop Cuba from participating in market trade with others in the world who wish to trade with them. Problem is that under Communism, they just don't seem to compete.

So, yes, it is a valid discussion of communism vs. capitalism.
  • Options
    given the geography, the USA is the only viable trading partner for Cuba, and had always been, until the blockade. it effectively stops Cuba buying food, fuel and medicines in the quantities it needs. it causes children to die from treatable illnesses. it causes young teenage girls and boys to resort to prostitution.
    three UN resolutions have been passed condemning the blockade

On 24 December 1992 the UN General Assembly passed Resolution 47/19 (Appendix 3) by 59 votes to 3 (United States, Israel and Rumania), with many abstentions, calling for an end to the 'economic, commercial and financial embargo imposed by the USA against Cuba'.
    On 16 September the European Parliament passed a resolution urging the Commission to condemn the US policy on Cuba. It also called on Washington to repeal the Cuba Democracy Act denouncing this legislation as an 'anachronism' and 'contrary to international law'.

The historic UN Resolution 47/19 was buttressed a year later when the General Assembly passed Resolution 48/16 93 November 1993), condemning yet again the US economic blockade, and by the passing, a year after that, of Resolution 49/24 (24 October 1994), reaffirming the two earlier resolutions.

(source)

yesterday Steven Spielberg added his name to the list, including ex-president Jimmy Carter, of people who want an end to the embargo.

This is all in response to the revolution in 1959. The blockade has done nothing to get rid of Castro, and only hurt civilians.
    The only reason it still exists is for the sake of the vote of the anti-Castro Cubans in Florida.
    Seems Democracy ain't perfect either, it can turn into a political game of calculating exactly what actions and words are required to keep your party in power, not about what's right.
    Winston Churchill once said 'Democracy is absolutely the worst form of government, apart from all the others'

damn, and I wasn't going to get into discussions on here :) forgive me if I can't keep replying here, work too busy right now :(
  • Options
    You keep using the word "blockade". I suggest you look it up. The UN document you quoted calls it an embargo. Isn't the same thing.

Now, as for viable trading partners, that is horseshit. Hawaii traded with islands thousands of miles from it before any western power had found it. But you are telling me that Cuba can't manage to trade with Brazil, Panama, Honduras, Mexico, Barbados, the Dominican Republic, Spain or England? Funny, they managed to trade with Spain over 300 years ago...but they can't do it today.

Like I said, seems Communism isn't actually able to compete. Hawaii still trades with places thousands of miles from it...and does it viably.

What that document means is that Cuba and Castro need an excuse and the embargo is that. And to eliminate that excuse would be a good thing that Jimmy Carter, etc. support (and so do I, but it's just an excuse we favor eliminating...not a real trade issue).
  • Options
    What exists in Cuba is what people call "New communism" or real communism", I'm not sure... But what it really is is Stalinism: it has two or three things of the communist economic system, like the planned economy, (wich made the USSR a superpower in 20 years...), but it's not based on communist values. Also they use patriotism as the myth that keeps people together wich is also against communist values.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

I certainly didn't hear this argument being put forward when the USSR was one of the "super"powers...
    Well Trotsky had been saying this for years until they killed him for doing so... and that was in the 1940s.

Some also said, I'm not sure if it was in this thread or the other one, that Communism was only an economic system... It also is a philosphical and a psycologycal current...
  • Options
    You keep using the word "blockade". I suggest you look it up. The UN document you quoted calls it an embargo. Isn't the same thing.

*consults Google*
    'cuba blockade' = 37,800 pages
    'cuba embargo' = 292,000 pages

a clear winner, fairy nuff.
    glad you support it being dropped though, whatever you call it :)
  • Options
    A physical blockade it might be not, but it is certainly more than an embargo. The US has always applied phenomenal pressure on anyone who dared to conduct businesses with Cuba. Companies that dared set up shop there are told by the US, or at least used to be told until recently, that they would be banned from setting up businesses in US territory. This affected most notably hotel chains. Cuba is a big tourist destination for Spain and many a hotel chain have been told they would never be allowed to open new hotels in US territory because they had dared built one in Cuba. I understand that nowadays, as more and more companies are raising two fingers to this repugnant threat, this 'policy' is starting to crumble. But it is still a fucking disgusting way to behave and Cuba has suffered for it.
  • Options
    Should we just allow countries such as cuba to get away with human rights abuses?
  • Options
    I hate to say it guys, but the US does not have to conduct trade with anyone it doesn't want to. Period.

If you want to have a government and leader that your huge neighbor doesn't agree with, that's fine. The huge neighbor is under no obligation to help you by trading with you.

Face it, the US is not going to benefit very much from trade with Cuba. Cuba is the one that is going to benefit...greatly. I don't think that we should reward shooting down unarmed Cessnas with MiG's....

And every citizen of every country has to accept that he or she may suffer because of the policies of his or her government. Decisions made by your government on your behalf may well hurt you badly. It's your responsiblity to look out for your own well being by effecting change.
  • Options
    But does the US govt have a right to dictate who the individual companies and firms within its borders trade with?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    But does the US govt have a right to dictate who the individual companies and firms within its borders trade with?

Yes, because doing business in the US is a privlege, not a right. American businesses are forbidden to trade with Cuba. They undoubtedly suffer some because of this. Yet a foreign corporation can reap the benefits of doing business in the world's largest market and still have this advantage over a US corp?

The US government may restrain foreign corps as much as it wants if the MNC's want to do business in the US. If they don't want to follow the rules then they can set up shop in another country where they are not restricted.
  • Options
    I would say that having large companies trade in your country is a privelage, they create wealth not take it........
  • Options
    Not necessarily.

While they do create jobs and buy from local suppliers, foreign multinationals can drain hard currency reserves, they help create the US trade deficit along with foreign imports.

Their object, don't forget, is to make a profit. Profits are sent out of the local country to the home of the multinational. This is money that doesn't stay in the US.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Alessandro

Their object, don't forget, is to make a profit. Profits are sent out of the local country to the home of the multinational.

Thus if the home of the multinational is in youre cpountry you benfit thus it is a privelage to have them their......
  • Options
    Surely the closest place to communism in the world today is Sweden, granted they dont really call it communism but they have the kind of social welfare system that most communist countries would want.

Basicaly the capitalist system works, yes its unfair, its nasty, it exploits people, but it works, society keeps going and people do get food in their mouths.
    Just look at Hong Kong, possibly the most capitalist place on earth, almost total free trade. They have a really low infant mortality rate and they live ages.

I would totaly aggree that capitalism is crap but its the best system there is at the moment, communism doesnt work because, sadly the majority of people only look out for themselves.

Free trade benifits everyone, whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

Free trade benifits everyone, whether you like it or not.

That really isn't true, studt shows that sice 'opening up' many countries real GDPs have declined. Free trade has clear benefits but only for the winners, if there is competition then therewill be losers that is the definition of the term.............