Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Synaesthesia

No I'm not talking about the hallucigenic drug here.

Is anyone on this board, born with Syn (as mentioned in my Syn Online signiture) ?

It is a neurological condition that joins up two or more of your five senses. If you hear something, you 'see' that sound as well. Other variations of the condition can cross-wire taste and touch as well. Sound-to-sight is the most common type. Recreational drugs were named after this because it can induce the same effect but only in a temporary mannor.

There is a programme on Radio 4 tonight from 9:00 to 9:30pm.

I was diagnosed with it a few years ago, but had it since birth.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I haven't got this but it does sound very interesting. I'm at line dancing tonight but I'll try to get back in time to listen to the programme. But wow what's this thing like? Try to describe it to me.
    ive heard of this, where people see colours when they hear music and stuff. must be like taking acid constantly.
    Essentially, it is a continuous acid trip. Luckily, it is more controlled and you don't get the perception that you are someone else, unlike the drug. Alcohol and caffiene are my only drugs so I don't have any working knowledge of hard drugs.

Since my earliest memories, I associated each letter of the alphabet and numbers 0-9 with a colour. Remember back in the days when you used to learn the alphabet. You would see a long wall scroll that has the letters A-Z, each coloured differently.

I also have perfect pitch where you can hear a note and you know what letter it is. Synaesthesia kicks in here and gives me a colour trip when I hear music. I can then translate it into a letter i.e. C, F#, D, Bb etc.

These are advantages, alongside with generally a photographic memory.

The disadvantage, being a mental condition is that I can often involumtarily 'trip' when I don't want to. My main phobia is monitors and TV screens. When the screen is turned off, I will trip a kaleidoscope pattern on it. When the screen is turned on, I see the normal picture.

I generally don't like the dark. This includes partial-open doors, alcoves and dim lighting. Again, I often trip in dark areas.
    I'm sure this is one of those things that sounds quite cool untill you have to deal with it all the time.

I've been aiming at this with quite a few of the trips that I've done but I've never managed it, oh well.
    that sounds awful. I mean, you can appreciate the good side, but i know what it is like when you have a phobia connected with you own senses. Ive always been anxious and sometimes if im not receiving enough stimulation (dark, quiet,smelless etc) then i will start to panic, and often i freak because i can feel my pulse all over my vody. I know how scary it can be, so i hope you can find a way to cope with it. I havent had a freakout thing for mayb a year now, but i do still get the sensations sometimes, and can feel my pulse strongly in my fingers.

I know maybe lots of people feel this but it really scares me!
    Thankfully, my bedroom in my new Stafford digs has the top end of my bed right up against the window. Also, its a bonus for having the window only a couple of feet up from the ground. If I find it is too dark, I can open the curtains. I don't like walking across the landing when everyone have gone to bed though.

The radio programme starts in 20 minutes time.

Programme Web site.