Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

6th form

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Heya! Just wanted to ask, is anyone else who is in year 12, and just started 6th form, finding is quite difficult? I know it is said that the work is a large step up from GCSE, and it was hardly going to get any easier as you get further on in education, but still!
I got 4A*s, 6As, and 2Bs for GCSE, and am now taking Geography, German, English Lit and Biology for AS. I feel as if i have lost the energy to work, after putting all my effort in throughout school, and am still trying hard, am conscientious, etc, but it's going nowhere. Also, there's the thought that all the work will be for nothing, since A levels have been said to be getting easier, and universities don't think they count for much?
Any comments/replies appreciated :P Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Well, universities must think A levels count, or they wouldn't base their offers on them. I went through the same kind of phase after my GCSE's - I got 4 A*'s and 5 A's then kind of lost the will to work! I don't do any more work than I have to now and I'm realllly lazy about it. You did 12 GCSE's :eek:
    I do Geography and English Lit for A level as well. I wouldn't worry about Geography, its mostly the same as GCSE and is definetlely my easiest subject. English lit is alot harder but I guess it depends on what books you are doing etc.
    I didn't think the workload got any bigger after GCSE really.. I mean I don't usually do work in the evening, just have a few things to do at the weekend. I guess that varies between schools.
    I wouldn't worry about your AS/A levels at all...judging bu your GCSE grades, and the fact you say you are still trying hard etc, it sounds like you'll be fine. Just don't try tooo hard..I found if I just relaxed and got on with it and didn't get myself stressed over the work, then it was ok.
    Also the 'A levels getting easier' thing has been said every year. Just ignore it! :)
  • Options
    im doing my AS too. im studying english lit, chemistry, history and business and oh my god yes could they be any harder!!!!???
    theres so much work to do too! staying up till god knows when will prob become a regualrity! im told it gets easier but id like to ask.... wen???
  • Options
    Im in year 12 and really dont like it much at all. The works seems so much harder and im slacking quite a lot. Plus im at one of those schools which is very academic and im not, which is shite! Im artistic. So i am shite compared to most people in my school. Makes me feel crap :(
  • Options
    I started college as a year 12 in September and I've already given up and quit. Although I got really good grades for my GCSE's I struggled and suffered depression and I was scared I would have to go through all that again. College work was getting on top of me and getting me down.
    I dont regret leaving because I wasnt all too keen to go to college in the first place.
    But once you have left college there arent as many options as you might think!
  • Options
    I'm a year 1 too and i think that its brilliant:D I didn't get stellar GCSE's (6a's 4 b's) but they were fine and I find the work at college so much more interesting - because you are doing subjects you like. If you are not motivated then maybe you are doing the wrong subjects?
  • Options
    Hi, Yeah I have just started at Sir John Deanes Sixth form which has quite high standards. I did qutie well on GCSES with 10 A's and 1 A*. I am struggling with the work as well though there is a lot to do and it takes a lot more effort. It is getting better though.
  • Options
    i'm in year 13 now and i can totally sympathise (sp) with you about AS's. I do English Lit and found it to be murder (and I still am this year). I thought that the standards of work for yr12 were so much harder than that of GCSE's that i lost my spark for learning.I felt like i couldn't cope with it and since last year i seem to have had one very long headache! right that's my rant over....in all fairness though hopefully you will find that you get used to the workload. I've just got one piece of advice...DO NOT leave coursework deadlines till the last minute, talking from experience it'll only get you into trouble! :banghead: Hope you sort things out. xx
  • Options
    I've finish 6th form now but can sympathsis (even if I can't spell!) Year 12 was probably the toughest year, so much work doing 4 AS levels. But I'm glad I stuck at it. Personally I found year 13 better than year 12 as I could focus on 3 subjects rather than 4.

Good luck! :)