Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting a job lined up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am currently doing an art foundation course and want to line up a job if possible for when i finish. I have applied for and got information about modern apprenticeships and was wondering how to go about finding companies in london that provide this kind of training. I rang the modern apprenticeship helpline but there was no answer. I am looking for a job in the areas of advertising, photography or graphics. Any help would be great, thanx :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    good luck, no one's got any jobs for peeps without experience at the mo! :( Me & all my mates from Uni have been searching since we graduated in June. If you want to contact companies though try going through the yellow pages and phoning up all the companies, or send them a letter & your cv.
    Originally posted by Faith
    good luck, no one's got any jobs for peeps without experience at the mo!

I know it's lame. This is why i'm not going to uni. I thought that an apprenticeship would be better because it is training on the job. Thanx for the help I think i will write to a few companies:)
    Use business search engines(like scoot and yell) to find companies in the fields your interested in and give them a call. The worst they can say is "no". :)
    Have you tried the website?

https://www.realworkrealpay.info/lsc/default

good luck with finding a placement
    :)
    Originally posted by Karla
    Have you tried the website?

https://www.realworkrealpay.info/lsc/default

good luck with finding a placement
    :)

yeah i requested info from there but the stuff they sent me was not specifically for art based training, they sent plumbing etc. I rang their help line and left a message but they didnt get back to me. Thanx though:)
    Originally posted by Faith
    good luck, no one's got any jobs for peeps without experience at the mo! :( Me & all my mates from Uni have been searching since we graduated in June. If you want to contact companies though try going through the yellow pages and phoning up all the companies, or send them a letter & your cv.

Tell me about it! The day I finished uni (June 19th 2002), I went straight to the paper shop and the Internet for vacancies. I aimed to apply for one job a day and by mid-September, I was on number 53. I had one job interview, and then acquired a job. Four days into this job (Sept 20-23), I was made redundant. My employer found that they have vastly over-recruited and decided to let go of anyone with little prior experience.

I re-started the job hunt back from square one. At present, I'm on job application # 27. Twelve people have responded with application forms and I've had one interview last week. I'm still yet to hear from the panel. Also, I have sent unsolicited letters and CVs to 43 local companies (a lot of 1st class stamps!).

I find that virtually ALL of my rejection letters say that I lack experience even though I fit the qualifications criteria completely. To get a job in your chosen field, you need "X" number of years of experience, in that field. You are don't even have a chance of beginning a career in that field if no one is going to employ you. Its an endless loop. My degree was B(Eng.) Electronic Engineering.

Is five months a long time for job hunting?
    Monserrat - thats a tough industry to be in, partly because of the crash in IT and telecoms markets. This is probably stupid sounding, but have you tried Thales (formally Racal) as they do a graduate scheme. You may need to look further away from home to get the break you need.
    I am in the same boat 2.
    Graduated 2nd July 2002 and have been looking since.
    I have had 1 interview so far, ppl will only take you on if you have experience.
    I did Computing which is really bad at the moment. Trying to get a Software Developer position but most jobs require at least 6 months experience. There are some Graduate positions but think how many people apply to them. I got a 2.i but think how many 1st classes there are out there.
    If this keeps up we will have next years graduates competing with us.
    The graduate positions are a tough one to get right as companies look for different things. With a 2.i you will get through most (if not all) initial stages of the interview/selection process. 2.ii are a lot tougher! Some will look for some experience or placements to show that you are serious in what you want to do. If you can show any examples of your work on your CV (links to websites, etc) it will be helpful. Think of any large organisations and lookat their websites to find out if they do graduate schemes. Financial companies are always a good bet.