Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is anyone a DJ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Is anyone here a DJ? Or does anyone want to be a DJ? I'm gonna grab the fist opportunity I get to buy a cheap set of decks, and then I'm gonna persue the hobby I've always wanted to do. I could have got a pair of Technics for £300, but I missed out. Maybe next time.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ye I'm a bedroom DJ, I'm into trance :) anything you wanna know, ask me and I'll try my best to answer
    Would really love to be one, but don't see myself ever going anywhere.

Possibly due to the fact that my friends who are into dance, seem to like Ian van Dahl, Lasgo etc.

Gutted :(
    Possibly due to the fact that my friends who are into dance, seem to like Ian van Dahl, Lasgo etc.

They are..............

FREAKS

Such a shame they have no taste what so ever, but I guess some people must like that utter shite. :eek2:
    Originally posted by wuckFit

Such a shame they have no taste what so ever, but I guess some people must like that utter shite. :eek2:

It's so true.

Guess I'll just stick to real trance.
    Only 1 of my friends likes proper trance but I'm still into DJing, might as well be cause I love the music... hell most people in my year are into that happy hardcore shite that seems to be making a comeback just now, the stuff I play is probably too soft, too slow and not cheesy enough for them.
    Originally posted by Liquid:MM
    Ye I'm a bedroom DJ, I'm into trance :) anything you wanna know, ask me and I'll try my best to answer

What is life like being a bedroom DJ? Do you just do what you enjoy (play music)? Are you frustrated that you ain't getting a gig anwhere? Are you even trying to get a gig? Also, where can I get a cheap pair of Technics MK3 (cheapest I've seen is £347 each on www.decks.co.uk).
    I am also into trance music, real trance music. Tracks that I love nowdays are Matt Darey - Moody, Orion - See Me, Jones & Stephenson - First Rebirth (Airwave Mix), BK - Revolution, and Warrior - If You Want Me......to name a few.
    What is life like being a bedroom DJ? OK but I gotta warn you its an expensive hobby, you end up getting addicted to vinyl shopping and wanting all the promos, imports, etc, which is OK if you've got a job

Do you just do what you enjoy (play music)? Ye I guess so, I get to play all the good tunes and mixing them together which is nice :)

Are you frustrated that you ain't getting a gig anwhere? Not really... I've been into it since December and I'm just getting kinda good now but I'm not really looking for a gig

Are you even trying to get a gig? Not really, although I maybe wouldn't mind if I was offered

Also, where can I get a cheap pair of Technics MK3 (cheapest I've seen is £347 each on www.decks.co.uk).
    I think decks.co.uk is the cheapest place to buy them new, you should also look into getting them 2nd-hand as they're good quality kit, they can get bashed around and still work just as well so you shouldn't worry as long as you try them out before you buy
    I am also into trance music, real trance music. Tracks that I love nowdays are Matt Darey - Moody, Orion - See Me, Jones & Stephenson - First Rebirth (Airwave Mix), BK - Revolution, and Warrior - If You Want Me......to name a few.

Ye I'm into that kinda stuff, especially the Matt Darey and Warrior ones :) I also like a bit of harder, BXR-style stuff, basically I like most kinds of trance except cheese :p

You might wanna consider joining the forums at http://www.gg2m.co.uk/forums which I post at and a lot of other guys too who're more experienced than me so you should get some good advice there
    Only 1 of my friends likes proper trance but I'm still into DJing, might as well be cause I love the music... hell most people in my year are into that happy hardcore shite that seems to be making a comeback just now, the stuff I play is probably too soft, too slow and not cheesy enough for them.

lol, seems the same up here.

It's like they've just discovered it or something.

Where you from btw?
    Originally posted by Kiezo

lol, seems the same up here.

It's like they've just discovered it or something.

Where you from btw?

Stirling :) the craze probably started in Glasgow, with Archaos playing it and so on...

Archaos

I fucking hate that 'club' :mad:
    I've been DJing for about 6 years, I've worked in all aspects of the uk nightclub industry (promotions staff/barstaff/stage dancing/lightjock/assisting with nights etc.) and have DJd around Manchester and Blackpool in the UK, I also went to Machesters Midi School (now called Technics Academy) 5 years ago when I was 16 and did a basement DJ course.

I started off with Soundlab 1600s belt drive, moved to Soundlab CDJs and then to Vesdex PDX-1as (I think) with a Gemini 626Pro mixer and I'm now about to buy Technic 1200s or 1210 mk3s.. depends really.. :p

Breaking into a swapped market is hard, I got my first break at 14 before I even owned decks or records by blagging at a r15 rave that I could mix, I played Happy Hardcore over a massive event and from that first day I was hooked. I had a monthly residency for a while until some teenages were caught fighting and the event was stopped by the council. I then hooked up with local dance station splash fm and entered a DJ competition and although I didn't get very far (loosing to someone playing trance) I managed to build up a solid contact base. When I was 18 I was working doing tri-weekly guest slots playing everything from funky house to trance at the Palace nightclub, it wasn't paid work, but playing and helping with event tours like Miss Moneypennys really makes you think you know what your doing it all for. I helped out getting DJs for an event called Vortex which was a hardcore/freeform event which sadly didn't take off to much. I also had my own show on Planet Pants 107FM (Pirate Radio) playing euphoric trance and that was one of my favourite and most buzzy things I ever did.

I emigrated over to NZ in 2001 and had to build my base again from scratch, out here I was unable to afford decks and so even getting mix tapes/cds to anyone became a real mission, they just don't have the DJ studios out here unless you want to hire out a full studio which costs a fortune. I decided that I might as well take a bad situation and make something out of it, I set up N2O and did a launch party at Luminaire on Aucklands Clubbing circuit as a way to break in and promote myself as a DJ, I paid for the entire event myself and charged no-one a cent on the door - and this was when I was just a regular old Dick Smith Electronics salesman (like Tandy) earning minimum wage.

The first event was a success (photos are on my signature) and we were approached by UPFM (Aucklands leading dance radio station) for sponsorship along with Cult Energy Drinks who also believed in what we did. I also set up a meeting with Zebedee Productions and spoke about wanting to do a preparty for them, they made us the official preparty for Paul Glazby's (DJ from Tidy Trax and Hard Dance Pioneer) NZ Tour and invited us all to play on the happy hour at the end of Zebedee as well as at our own event (obviously).

The world is really opening up again, Zebedee hold their own rooms at all the major NZ tours like Godskitchen, Gatecrasher, Slinky, Sundissential etc. and its the perfect place to get spotted, especially if your the official preparty for them.

My advise is to stick with DJing, it takes a long time to get anywhere and its expensive, make sure you buy industry standard equipment if you want to get anywhere like Technics (1200s / 1210s etc.) cause each deck has a slightly different feel. Buy a varied selection of records, learn to read a crowd and respond to what they want and by all means don't just 'fuck off' at the end of your set instead stay with the crowd and have a party, never forget what it means to be a clubber. Don't get on a soapbox (think your all that), make a mix cd and had them out to radio stations, djs, promotors and to clubbers, create a vibe and once people start taking you know its working... the more you put in, the more you get out.
    I've been mixin' for about 3 years and love it. The only thing I don't like is the price of some vinyl but to me it's so addictive coz every penny I get seems to go on tunes....Well worth it tho.

There's a great book called 'How To DJ Properly' which tells you everything you need to know. If your looking for somthing like that to help you out then I'd get that 'coz most of the other 'learn to mix' books are shit.

PM me if you wanna hand with anything.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0593049667/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-1515437-0712414