Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Doctors

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, just wondered if any of you have ever found doctors helpful and sympathetic about mental/emotional problems - depression etc. I really don't feel I could go to a doctor about that kind of thing, I've had bad experiences with doctors in the past and was made to feel like I was a really annoying person the last time I went to see my GP, so I don't view her as being approachable any more. But I just wondered are GPs able to do anything about depression, do they help you in any way? Have you ever found them to be helpful? Or were they no help at all? What would they do if you went to them feeling depressed? I would appreciate any replys. Thanks. xxx.

Comments

• Options
    Doctors are there to help you pretty much whatever you feel is wrong.
    Doctors deal with things like depression everyday. If they can't help you then it's their job to refer you to someone who can.
    Some doctors aren't the listening type, which is a great shame because i'd say it's pretty much a requirement of the job! Ask your friends or family which doctors they go to and how they feel about them. I'd probably choose to go to a doctor who has been recomended by someone as you have more chance of seeing someone who can help.
    Doctors can and will help you overcome any kind of depression you may be feeling, so don't be scared to go and see someone about it.
    If you feel like the particular doctor you saw wasn't much help, then see a different one. I'd probably recomend the younger doctors as in my experiance they've been easier to talk to and much more understanding and down to earth.

Good Luck :)
  • Options
    Hi

In my opinion this depends on the doctor, I think when talking to a doctor about things like depression you need to find one who you feel comfy with and who treats you like a human. I'm glad I told my doctor about depression but it took a hell of a lot of guts

Good Luck
    AnnMarie
  • Options
    hmmmmmmm.

doctors vary greatly - some are wonderful, others rough.

but when i arrived at uni and had to sign up with a new doctor, he read my notes and said "hmmmmm so you had a bit of a rough childhood. You seem alright now though so thats ok"
    I actually can't work out whether or not he was being sympathetic!!
  • Options
    GPs can help you in several ways, from simply being a sympathetic ear to putting your name down for counselling, to prescribing antidepressants, to refering you to a psyciologist or psychiatrist. It's the best place to start if you're feeling depressed.

It helps if you find a GP you can get along with, and different people like different kinds of doctors. Ask the receptionist for an appoinment with a doctor who is male or female, older or younger, traditional or modern. It's up to you. But remember one thing, if you're really depressed, part of the problem may be that you're feeling a bit antisocial and may be seeing them in a very negative light before you even meet them. Give them a chance, most of them are only human, and they're there to help you.
  • Options
    I went to the doctor about this kind of thing. It took me a while though, i kept telling ymself that they will just think im making it up, being over dramatic or just wasting their time. But they didn't. He was incredibly helpful, but I chose not to accept the help, but yea, they are helpful. He listened to what I had to say, he prescribed me some meds, and he told me to go back to him so that he would discuss councilling with me and check how i'm doing, so- he was helpful, and i guess its their job to be. He didn't really understand what I was feeling, but i think that was just me not telling him the full story not making it clear what i was trying to say, so that was kinda frustrating. I am very very very shy, and so it was hard telling a complete stranger about this kind of thing, but he made me feel ok. Some doctors are nice; others not so nice. But if you dont like your doctor you can ask to see a different one; one that you feel more comfotable with.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies. Do you mind me just asking what is the difference between counsellors, psyciatrists and psycologists? If I wasnt willing to accept anti depressants, didnt want to be referred to anyone for counselling or anything and found it very hard to talk about my feelings do you think it would still be worth going?or would the doctor get annoyed with me for going but not being willing to accept their help? Thanks. xxx.
  • Options
    Hi Crazylady

Some time ago I suffered from depression. I went to see my doctor who prescribed me anti-depressants. These were NON addictive type, when I 1st started taking them I thought they were doing no good, however they do take time to work so after a few months I was slowly getting back to my normal self.

I was also referred to a Psychiatric Nurse. Basically she was just like a friend to me, she came to see me once a week or if I was having a bad day she was at the end of the phone. I think she really did help me because at the time I had nobody who I could talk my problems through and her not being say a close family member meant that I could say pretty much anything to her, without her judging me.

I think some doctors are very sympathetic to patients with depression, but on the other hand you can also get doctors who havent got a clue. Thats why Id reccomend anyone with depression to maybe change doctor if they are not getting the help from their current doctor. I also think this works the same with Counsellors if you dont click with the 1st one, try another one.

If you are suffering with depression then id say make that appointment to see the doctor, they will give you your different options and hopefully get you on the road to recovery:)
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. xxx.