Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

To Terrorists Everywhere from Australia

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cyann,

Here, in Thailand, the coverage of the Bali bombing was as great as those of the WTC bombing. The reaction was greater (probably because it was closer, and made the threat more real to Asians). The stories of bravery are just as amazing and inspiring.

But it doesn't really surprise me that worldwide the coverage may not be as big as the WTC bombing was...

The WTC had a very visible result
    It occurred in an area that provided maximum TV coverage
    It was shocking

Remember the coverage of the Pentagon bombing? Why didn't it get better coverage?

And people are becoming a bit hardened to the reality of the threat. The WTC bombing wasn't the first attack, but to many people I'm sure it seemed like the first. The shock effect on those who hadn't considered the brutal reality of the world.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    Cyann,

Here, in Thailand, the coverage of the Bali bombing was as great as those of the WTC bombing. The reaction was greater (probably because it was closer, and made the threat more real to Asians). The stories of bravery are just as amazing and inspiring.

But it doesn't really surprise me that worldwide the coverage may not be as big as the WTC bombing was...

The WTC had a very visible result
    It occurred in an area that provided maximum TV coverage
    It was shocking

Remember the coverage of the Pentagon bombing? Why didn't it get better coverage?

And people are becoming a bit hardened to the reality of the threat. The WTC bombing wasn't the first attack, but to many people I'm sure it seemed like the first. The shock effect on those who hadn't considered the brutal reality of the world.

The WTC was a real shock. My family, unlike many people, did pay close attention to the Pentagon bombing. Not only was my cousin in there (my dad's nephew), who was a Pentagon chief (he retired in June), but his daughter, son-in-law and his deceased son's wife were also trapped in there. It was very frightening for all of us. I just wish more attention had been given to the bombings in Bali.