Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

overcoming self harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I'm self harmer. The last time I did it I felt I ruined what h ad been an excellent weekend. Something clicked inside m e and I thought "I don't want this in my life.". I want to overcome self harm and for the first time I feel strong enough to do it. Now when I am down my first instinct is to talk to someone rather than hurt myself. Although I want to do this I feel overwhelmed and a bit daunted as its been a part of my life for 10 years.

Is there anyone out there who has overcome self harm and have you any tips on how to do it?

Also I thought maybe we could support each other on the road to recovery.

cheers
AnnMarie

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Ann Marie,

We have some factsheets here, and if you do a search you will also find that lots of people have asked this question before you.

http://www.thesite.org/info/health/other_mental_health/self_harm.html
    Usual things...see a doctor, see atherapist, etc etc. Its been said before.

One way of getting over it is to hurt yourself in non-painful ways, if that mkes sense. What I mean is perhaps hold ice cubes in the bend of your elbow, or draw red lines on you with an ink pen, or something like that. Its not an easy thing to overcome though.
    Re: overcoming self harm

Self harm is indicative of a low self worth, destructive personality and a drive to self blame. These things are normally imposed by others along with the irrational beliefs, for instance parents, brothers, sisters, peers, teachers, colleagues and employers to mention but a few. The important step to make is to begin valueing yourself, teaching yourself that the things others do or think are THEIR responsibility not yours and learning that rather than punish yourself for whatever. you should be accepting of your decisions and actions regardless, if they don't work out then put it down to experience.

There are many ways to accomplish this. Make a recording of all the positive things about you and listen to it every day.
    Make a large note saying you're great and place it in a place you go to regular such as your favourite mirror. Put money aside every now and then and on a predefined day treat yourself to something nice and tell yourself its a gift for being special. etc etc. Hope this helps.

Snod
    Originally posted by AnnMarie
    Hi

I'm self harmer. The last time I did it I felt I ruined what h ad been an excellent weekend. Something clicked inside m e and I thought "I don't want this in my life.". I want to overcome self harm and for the first time I feel strong enough to do it. Now when I am down my first instinct is to talk to someone rather than hurt myself. Although I want to do this I feel overwhelmed and a bit daunted as its been a part of my life for 10 years.

Is there anyone out there who has overcome self harm and have you any tips on how to do it?

Also I thought maybe we could support each other on the road to recovery.

cheers
    AnnMarie