Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can they stop me taking it?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This year I picked up a new AS thing but due to...personal stuff I haven't been to school in the last month. I've been to about 2 or 3 of the lessons for my new AS. I was just wondering, they can't kick me off the course, can they?
I really need this new AS but the fact that I have only been to two or three lessons worries me a bit.
I'm going to be talking to the teachers for that AS soon but was just wondering beforehand so I can prepare myself for a fall. Heh, I may be worrying over nothing but I guess I need to worry over stuff like this really.

Thanks if ya can help. Any help is welcome. Thanks. If ya can't help then...*sigh* never mind. :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It very much depends what exactly the personal stuff is and how serious.

You must discuss it with them.

However given youre takking AS levels they will treat you like an adult and Can and will drop you from the course if they think youve missed too much work or that you havent got an adequately good reason.

It would be best to speak with your tutor/head of year etc and see what you can arrange.

((HUGS)) its hard really though isnt it? Been there myself last year when i was so ill I couldnt sit my exams
  • Options
    The school nurse and head teacher know why I stayed away from school. Pretty much boils down to my being unhappy...or depressed, don't like using that word though and trying to end my life.
    The head said I can come back in my own time but none of my subject tutors that I've seen so far seem to know what's going on which is why I wasn't sure if the tutor for this new subject would make me drop it.
    I;ve already not been entered for exams this January due to my missing work but they think I can catch up but they know me from last year and want me to do them in May/June. The teachers for my new AS don't know me and I wondered if they had questionned whether I could cope with catching up and possibly doing them the exam for this AS in January or whether I could cope with so many exams in June.

I don't know if the decision to make me drop it lies with the subject tutor or with the head.
  • Options
    the subject tutor may bring up the amount of work that you have to do, but basically, i think your head of 6th form can overrule the subject teacher (or at least, ours does regularly!), and your head teacher will have final say, i would assume.
  • Options
    It depends on the rules of the college, I guess. When I was at college, we had to sign an agreement stating that we would attend a certain amount of lessons within each subject.

I reckon if you didn't attend, they'd certainly chase you up to see why you have not been attending classes. :) But as someone else said, you should take with your tutor.
  • Options
    they cant stop u from takin the subject if uve had problems ive been depressed and told a tutor who explained to all my teachers that ive got problems and taht sumtimes i might be away or get behind but they just have to help the best they can to get u bk up to speed...i think u shud ask ur head teacher to talk to ur subject teachers and explain the situation then wen u've been away or got behind talk to them and ask for their help wiv the work u gotta try to go to the lesson and try ur hardest

good luck wiv things
    i hope u can sort it out

always remember to smile:)